Kwok, Michelle individual record
Clinical Assistant Professor
- Clinical Assistant Professor, School of Education and Human Development, Texas A&M University
I focus on sociocultural perspectives of literacy in particular because literacy has historically acted as a gatekeeper to educational opportunity and equity. From my early career as a writing teacher for international and immigrant students, to teaching elementary students, and then teaching high school students abroad in Japan, I have seen and experienced how literacy is a source of identity, power, and opportunity. Because of experiences like these, I have dedicated my research studies to understanding how to prepare future teachers to support youth for the literacy demands of their school, work, and future.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Literacy, Language, and Culture, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 2015
- Kwok, M., Welder, R. M., Moore, J., & Williams, A. M. (2022). Beyond Keywords: Applying Systemic Functional Linguistics to Unpack the Language of Additive Word Problems. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS EDUCATION. 1-24.
- Kwok, M., Rios, A., & Kwok, A. (2022). Dispelling Deficit Framing: Investigating Preservice Teacher Beliefs About the Intersections between Literacy Instruction and Culturally Relevant Pedagogy. TEACHERS AND TEACHING. 1-18.
- Kwok, A., Rios, A., & Kwok, M. (2022). Pre-service teachers' motivations to enter the profession. JOURNAL OF CURRICULUM STUDIES. 54(4), 576-597.
- Kwok, M. (2022). Tensions between disciplinarity and generality within a professional development on writing instruction. ENGLISH TEACHING-PRACTICE AND CRITIQUE. 21(1), 71-83.
- Kwok, M. N., Rios, A. R., Kwok, A., & Matthews, S. D. (2021). Teacher Candidates' Developing Beliefs About Diversity and Its Role in Effective Literacy Teaching. EDUCATION AND URBAN SOCIETY. 53(8), 886-908.
- Kwok, M. N., Ganding III, E., Hull, G. A., & Moje, E. B. Sociocultural approaches to high school writing instruction. Examining the roles of context, positionality, and power. Handbook of writing research. 257-271. Guilford Press New York, NY.
in the news
- Cultural experiences through virtual study abroad Texas A&M University College of Education & Human Development May 12, 2021
- Developing culturally-responsive educators Texas A&M University College of Education and Human Development March 21, 2021
- What are STEM words and their multiple meanings? Texas A&M University College of Education and Human Development November 18, 2020
recent teaching activities
- EDCI353 Early Child Through Adol Educ Instructor
- EDCI604 E-learn Classroom Mgmt Instructor
- EDCI645 Soc&educ In World Pers Instructor
- EDCI656 Learning Theories Instructor
- EDCI680 Proseminar Instructor
Texas A&M University; 356 Harrington Tower;
College Station, TX 77845