- Director, CRS Center for Leadership and Management in the Design and Construction Industry
- William M. Pena Endowed Professor of Information Management, Architecture
- Faculty Fellow, Center for Health Systems and Design
Since the mid-1980's I have explored the effective use and impact of computational technology on architecture. My current agenda is organized around three grand challenges:
1. House 9.5 billion people by the year 2050.
2. Devise methods to achieve sustainable communities.
3. Devise a computational model of architectural and urban beauty.
This agenda can be discerned in my publication and activities, in the design work of my students, and in the theses and dissertations that students complete under my supervision.
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University - (Stanford, California, United States) 1998
- M. Arch. in , University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1987
- B.Arch. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1983
- Kim, H., & Clayton, M. J (2020). A multi-objective optimization approach for climate-adaptive building envelope design using parametric behavior maps. Building and Environment. 107292-107292.
- Kim, H., & Clayton, M. J (2020). Parametric behavior maps: A method for evaluating the energy performance of climate-adaptive building envelopes. Energy and Buildings. 110020-110020.
- Jeong, W., Kim, J. B., Clayton, M. J., Haberl, J. S., & Yan, W. (2016). A framework to integrate object-oriented physical modelling with building information modelling for building thermal simulation. Journal of Building Performance Simulation. 9(1), 50-69.
- Kota, S., Stipo, F., Jeong, W., Kim, J. B., Alcocer, J., Clayton, M. J., Yan, W., & Haberl, J. S. (2016). Development of a Reference Building Information Model for Thermal Model Compliance Testing-Part I: Guidelines for Generating Thermal Model Input Files. ASHRAE TRANSACTIONS, VOL 122, PT 1. 122(1), 256-266.
- Kim, J. B., Jeong, W., Clayton, M. J., Haberl, J. S., & Yan, W. (2015). Developing a physical BIM library for building thermal energy simulation. Automation in Construction. (C), 16-28.
- Farias, F., Kota, S., Jeong, W., Kim, J. B., Bermudez Alcocer, J. L., Haberl, J. S., Clayton, M. J., & Yan, W. (2019). Development of a Reference Building Information Model (BIM) for Thermal Model Compliance Testing-Part II: Test Cases and Analysis. ASHRAE TRANSACTIONS 2019, VOL 125, PT 1. 125, 750-764.
- Wu, C., Xing, K., & Clayton, M. J (2016). Smoke simulation for large buildings in CFAST: Using BIM to facilitate simulation process. Design and Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban Planning - 13th International Conference on Design and Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban Planning, DDSS 2016.
- Barekati, E., Clayton, M. J., & Yan, W. (2015). A BIM-Compatible Schema for Architectural Programming Information. COMPUTER-AIDED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN: THE NEXT CITY - NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND THE FUTURE OF THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT, CAAD FUTURES 2015, Computer-Aided Architectural Design Futures. The Next City - New Technologies and the Future of the Built Environment. 527, 311-328.
- Wu, C., Zarrinmehr, S., Asl, M. R., & Clayton, M. J. (2015). Facilitating Fire and Smoke Simulation Using Building Information Modeling. COMPUTER-AIDED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN: THE NEXT CITY - NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND THE FUTURE OF THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT, CAAD FUTURES 2015, Computer-Aided Architectural Design Futures. The Next City - New Technologies and the Future of the Built Environment. 527, 366-382.
- Wu, C., & Clayton, M. J (2015). VISUALIZING CLIMATE DATA AS A 3D CLIMATE TORUS. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2015). 273-281.
- Parker, Landon (2022-07). SHNF Recreational Hub: Sam Houston National Forest Recreational Hub. (Master's Thesis)
- Thoele, Ashleigh M. (2022-07). La Graella. (Master's Thesis)
- Alassaf, Nancy (2019-11). Architectural Information Modeling (AIM): Teaching Formal Concepts of Design Using Building Information Modeling (BIM). (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Labib, Rania (2019-08). Fa?ade Internet of Things (FIoT): A Human-Sensing,Two-Fa?ade Communication Approach to Achieve Glare Reduction, Optimized Daylighting, and Solar Energy Collection. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wu, Chengde (2017-12). A SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE FOR THE INTEGRATION OF SMOKE PROPAGATION SIMULATION, EVACUATION SIMULATION, AND BUILDING INFORMATION MODELING. (Doctoral Dissertation)