- Director, CRS Center for Leadership and Management in the Design and Construction Industry
- William M. Pena Endowed Professor of Information Management, Architecture, College of Architecture
- Faculty Fellow, Center for Health Systems and Design, College of Architecture
Since the mid-1980's I have explored the effective use and impact of computational technology on architecture. My current agenda is organized around three grand challenges:
1. House 9.5 billion people by the year 2050.
2. Devise methods to achieve sustainable communities.
3. Devise a computational model of architectural and urban beauty.
This agenda can be discerned in my publication and activities, in the design work of my students, and in the theses and dissertations that students complete under my supervision.
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Stanford University - (Stanford, California, United States) 1998
- M. Arch. in , University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1987
- B.Arch. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1983
- Kim, H., & Clayton, M. J. (2020). A multi-objective optimization approach for climate-adaptive building envelope design using parametric behavior maps. Building and Environment. 185, 107292-107292.
- Kim, H., & Clayton, M. J. (2020). Parametric behavior maps: A method for evaluating the energy performance of climate-adaptive building envelopes. Energy and Buildings. 219, 110020-110020.
- Kota, S., Stipo, F., Jeong, W., Kim, J. B., Alcocer, J., Clayton, M. J., ... ASHRAE, .. (2016). Development of a Reference Building Information Model for Thermal Model Compliance Testing-Part I: Guidelines for Generating Thermal Model Input Files. ASHRAE Transactions. 122(1), 256-266.
- Kim, J. B., Jeong, W., Clayton, M. J., Haberl, J. S., & Yan, W. (2015). Developing a physical BIM library for building thermal energy simulation. Automation in Construction. 50(C), 16-28.
- Jeong, W., Kim, J. B., Clayton, M. J., Haberl, J. S., & Yan, W. (2015). A framework to integrate object-oriented physical modelling with building information modelling for building thermal simulation. Journal of Building Performance Simulation. 9(1), 50-69.
- Farias, F., Kota, S., Jeong, W., Kim, J. B., Bermudez Alcocer, J. L., Haberl, J. S., ... ASHRAE, .. (2019). Development of a Reference Building Information Model (BIM) for Thermal Model Compliance Testing-Part II: Test Cases and Analysis. ASHRAE Transactions. 125, 750-764.
- Wu, C., Xing, K., & Clayton, M. J. (2016). Smoke simulation for large buildings in CFAST: Using BIM to facilitate simulation process.
- Barekati, E., Clayton, M. J., & Yan, W. (2015). A BIM-Compatible Schema for Architectural Programming Information. UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING AND MULTIMEDIA APPLICATIONS, PT II. 527, 311-328.
- Wu, C., Zarrinmehr, S., Asl, M. R., & Clayton, M. J. (2015). Facilitating Fire and Smoke Simulation Using Building Information Modeling. UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING AND MULTIMEDIA APPLICATIONS, PT II. 527, 366-382.
- Wu, C., & Clayton, M. J. (2015). VISUALIZING CLIMATE DATA AS A 3D CLIMATE TORUS. 273-281.
- Wu, Chengde (2017-12). A SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE FOR THE INTEGRATION OF SMOKE PROPAGATION SIMULATION, EVACUATION SIMULATION, AND BUILDING INFORMATION MODELING. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Altabtabai, Jawad A S R B (2017-12). Parametric BIM-based Design Review. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zarrinmehr, Saied (2016-12). A Computational Model for Simulation, Visualization and Evaluation of Mandatory and Optional Building Occupancy Scenarios. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Haliburton, James Thomas (2016-12). Building Information Modeling and Small Architectural Practice: An Analysis of Factors Affecting BIM Adoption. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Barekati, Ehsan (2016-12). A BIM Compatible Schema for Architectural Programming Information. (Doctoral Dissertation)