My areas of interest include Postmodernism, American Cultural Studies (including film and popular culture), Gender Studies, and Feminist Theory.
education and training
- Ph.D. in English, University of Washington - (Seattle, Washington, United States) 1989
- M.A. in English, University of Washington - (Seattle, Washington, United States) 1984
- B.A. in English, Smith College - (Northampton, Massachusetts, United States) 1981
- Robinson, S. (2013). Shopping for the Real: Gender and Consumption in the Critical Reception of DeLillo's White Noise. Postmodern Culture. 23(2),
- Robinson, S. A. (2011). Feminized Men and Inauthentic Women: Fight Club and the Limits of Anti-Consumerist Critique. Genders. (53),
- Robinson, S. (2004). Male Sexuality under Surveillance: The Office in American Literature (review). MFS Modern Fiction Studies. 50(3), 762-763.
- Robinson, S. (1998). "Unyoung, Unpoor, Unblack": John Updike and the Construction of Middle American Masculinity. MFS Modern Fiction Studies. 44(2), 331-363.
- Robinson, S. A. (1997). Reviewed Works: Constructing Masculinity by Maurice Berger, Brian Wallis, Simon Watson; White Guys: Studies in Postmodern Domination and Difference by Fred Pfeil. Signs: journal of women in culture and society. 22(4), 1049-1052.
- Robinson, S. (2005). Marked Men White Masculinity in Crisis. Columbia University Press.
- Robinson, S. (1991). Engendering the Subject Gender and Self-Representation in Contemporary Women's Fiction. SUNY Press.
- Robinson, S. A. (2013). Pedagogy of the opaque: Teaching masculinity studies. Gardiner, J. K. (Eds.), Masculinity Studies and Feminist Theory: New Directions. (pp. 141-160). Columbia University Press.
- Robinson, S. A. (2012). Men’s Liberation, Men’s Wounds Emotion, Sexuality, and the Reconstruction of Masculinity in the 1970s. Shamir, M., & Travis, J. (Eds.), Boys Don't Cry? Rethinking Narratives of Masculinity and Emotion in the U.S.. (pp. 205-229). Columbia University Press.
- Robinson, S. A. (2007). Masculine Protest in The catcher in the rye. J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. (pp. 69-76). Taylor %26 Francis.
- Robinson, S. A. (2001). \"Emotional Constipation\" and the Power of Dammed Masculinity: Deliverance and the Paradoxes of Male Liberation. Lehrman, P. (Eds.), Masculinity Bodies, Movies, Culture. (pp. 133-147). Psychology Press.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Cothren, Claire Renae (2015-08). The Evolving Southern Gothic: Traditions of Racial, Gender, and Sexual Horror in the Imagined American South. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yost, Brian Armstrong (2014-05). Cosmopolitan America: Affect, Attention, and the Nation in Post-Cold War Literature. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Harris, Rebecca (2012-05). An Archive of Shame: Gender, Embodiment, and Citizenship in Contemporary American Culture. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Song, Ho Rim (2010-08). Complex Feedback Loops of Technoscience, Literature, and Culture: Dynamics of the Complexity Paradigm in Scientific Fiction. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sallah, Asmahan (2010-08). Chasing the Trace of the Sacred: Postmodern Spiritualities in Contemporary American Fiction. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; English; 4227 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4227