I study Latinx, race, education, school/neighborhood segregation, immigration and state violence. I have published research in some of the top journals in sociology and education, including Sociology of Education, Social Forces, Social Problems and the American Educational Research Journal. I am currently studying how well the spatial assimilation theory accounts for the residential attainment of young Latinx; how the immigration status of Mexican immigrant parents affects their children's educational attainment, and how theories of racialization and assimilation account for variation in Latinx achievement in new and traditional destinations.
- Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Arizona - (Tucson, Arizona, United States) 1999
- M.A. in Sport Science, University of Arizona - (Tucson, Arizona, United States) 1994
- B.A. in Philosophy, Pomona College - (Claremont, California, United States) 1986
- May, R., & Goldsmith, P. R. (2018). Dress Codes and Racial Discrimination in Urban Nightclubs. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity. 4(4), 555-566.
- Goldsmith, P. R., Flores-Yeffal, N. Y., Salinas, J., Reese, B., & Cruz, C. E. (2018). Mexican parent's undocumented status and the educational attainment of the children left behind. SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH. 72, 194-206.
- Goldsmith, P. R., Pylman, M., & Velez, W. (2017). Are there neighborhood effects on young adult neighborhood attainment? Evidence from mixed-logit models. SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH. 64, 25-42.
- Goldsmith, P. R., Britton, M. L., Reese, B., & Velez, W. (2017). Will Moving to a Better Neighborhood Help? Teenage Residential Mobility, Change of Context, and Young-Adult Educational Attainment. URBAN AFFAIRS REVIEW. 53(2), 305-337.
- Goldsmith, P. R. (2016). Academic Profiling: Latinos, Asian Americans, and the Achievement Gap. Contemporary Sociology A Journal of Reviews. 45(2), 220-222.
- (2018). With mass deportation comes mass punishment: Punitive capacity, health, and standards in U.S. Immigrant detention. Routledge Handbook on Immigration and Crime. (pp. 260-269). Routledge.
- Goldsmith, P. R. (2013). Research on oppressed communities. Uncharted Terrains: New Directions in Border Research Methodology, Ethics, and Practice. (pp. 222-230).