Dr. Luhan, FAIA, is a nationally recognized architect, scholar, author, professor, and academic leader whose work investigates how design, emerging digital technologies, critical theory, pedagogy, practice, and academic-industry partnerships intersect. His doctoral research and dissertation validated the effectiveness of co-created learning within collaborative architectural design studios. The NSF, NEA, DOE, Graham Foundation, Robert Woods Johnson Foundation, and non-traditional industry-based sources fund his research, and the International Foundation of the Centre Canadien d'Architecture used his virtual models in its Design of Cities Prize Competition. Scholars cite his work for its innovative uses of technology in design, digital fabrication, and construction. His professional practice includes award-winning, research-driven projects based upon collaborative relationships with disciplines outside architecture. Before his appointment at Texas A&M, Dr. Luhan was the John Russell Groves Endowed Professor of Architecture at the University of Kentucky College of Design-School of Architecture and a University Research Professor at the Lewis Honors College, the College of Engineering Center for Visualization and Virtual Environments. Before founding his firm, he served as a Senior Designer and Project Architect on acclaimed national and international projects with Agrest & Gandelsonas, Gwathmey Siegel, and Eisenman Architects after interning with Edward Larrabee Barnes in New York.
- Ph.D. in Architecture, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2016
- M. Arch. in , Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 1998
- B.Arch. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1991
- Luhan, G. (2021). Intelligence: Call for Papers. Technology|Architecture + Design. 5(2), 160-161.
- Brause, C., Ford, C., Kraus, C., Luhan, G., Murray, S., Newman, W. E., ... Zarzycki, A. (2021). Reflections on Five Years of TAD. Technology|Architecture + Design. 5(2), 119-120.
- Luhan, G. (2021). Scaling Intelligence. Technology|Architecture + Design. 5(2), 122-122.
- Marinic, G., Radtke, R., & Luhan, G. (2021). Critical Spatial Practices: A Trans-scalar Study of Chinese Hutongs and American Alleyways. Interiority. 4(1), 27-42.
- Radtke, R., Marinic, G., & Luhan, G. A. (2019). Trans-scalar Complexities | From the Hutongs of Beijing to the Alleyways of Cincinnati. International Journal of Interior. 6(Parallel Territories), 88-93.
- Koch, M., & Luhan, G. (2019). Close to Home Buildings and Projects of Michael Koch and Associates Architects. Oro Editions.
- Luhan, G. (2019). Dayton Eugene Egger The Paradox of Place in the Line of Sight. Oro Editions.
- Luhan, G. A., Todd, L. T., Kaplan, P., & Anyaegbunam, C. (2010). Live.light. Oro Editions.
- Luhan, G., Domer, D., & Mohoney, D. (2004). The Louisville Guide. Princeton Architectural Press.
- Luhan, G. A. (2019). Michael Koch Architect: Parallel Intersections-Early Influences and Practice. Close to Home Buildings and Projects of Michael Koch and Associates Architects. 10-19. Oro Editions.
- Luhan, G. A. (2019). Precise formulations of an engaged pursuit Foreword. Luhan, G. A. (Eds.), Omni Architects: Our search for Architecture, Volume 1: 1975-1999; Volume 2: 2000-2019. 8-10. Omni Associates.
- DaCruz, J., Doherty, R., Luhan, G., Schlesinger, C., Schweder, A., Agrest, D., ... Kennon, K. (2002). Project II.A. Princeton University School of Architecture. Gandelsonas, M. (Eds.), Shanghai Reflections Architecture, Urbanism, and the Search for an Alternative Modernity. 116-121. Princeton Architectural Press.
- Radtke, R., & Luhan, G. A. (2019). The thickened line | Constructing exploratory sketches and mobile sections. Of Performance. Proceedings of the 6th Annual Architecture & Film Symposium, 6th Annual Architecture & Film Symposium. 44-52.
- Poustinchi, E., Wang, S., & Luhan, G. (2018). No Keyboard, No Mouse - Hybrid Digital-Analog Hardware Design for Enhancing Design UI and UX. CAADRIA proceedings, CAADRIA 2018: Learning, Prototyping and Adapting. 1, 535-544.
- Lanham, T., Shaifa, I., Poustinchi, E., & Luhan, G. (2017). Craft and Digital Consequences - Micro-Hybrid Explorations at (Full) Scale. Proceedings of the 35th International Conference on Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (eCAADe) [Volume 2], eCAADe 2017 : ShoCK! Sharing of Computable Knowledge!. 2, 327-336.
- Safarova, B., Ledesma, E., Luhan, G., Caffey, S., & Giusti, C. (2015). Learning from Collaborative Integration:The Hackathon as Design Charrette. Proceedings of the 33th International Conference on Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (eCAADe) [Volume 2], eCAADe 2015: Real time - extending the reach of computation. 2, 233-240.
- Luhan, G. A., & Gregory, R. (2013). Across Disciplines: Triggering Frame Awareness in Design Education. Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design, XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design. 619-623.
- (2006). Synthetic Landscapes: ACADIA2006 International Conference Proceedings. ACADIA Publications.
- (2006). The Digital Exchange: An Exhibition of Digital Manufacture and Visualization. ACADIA Publications.
- Research Faculty Mentor of the Week conferred by University of Kentucky - (Lexington, Kentucky, United States) - January 2019
- Research Faculty Mentor of the Week conferred by University of Kentucky - (Lexington, Kentucky, United States) - January 2018