Over millions of years of co-evolution with insects, plants have developed various defense machineries that can be activated in response to insect herbivory. Insects, in turn, have developed a variety of strategies to evade these plant defense mechanisms. An improved understanding of this complex plant defense and insect counter-defense relationship will facilitate development of better strategies to improve host plant defense. Currently, we are using Arabidopsis to study plant defense signal transduction pathways against insect pests. Meanwhile, since effectiveness of plant defense is also determined by the insect response, my laboratory is also investigating how insects adapt to the challenge of plant defense molecules, as well as to human imposed management strategies, and is working to identify new insect vulnerable systems.
- Ph.D. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1994
- M.S. in , Fudan University - (Shanghai, Shanghai, China) 1988
- B.S. in , Fudan University - (Shanghai, Shanghai, China) 1985
- He, L. i., Chen, I. W., Zhang, Z., Zheng, W., Sayadi, A., Wang, L., ... Zhu-Salzman, K. (2022). In silico promoter analysis and functional validation identify CmZFH, the co-regulator of hypoxia-responsive genes CmScylla and CmLPCAT. Insect Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. 140, 103681-103681.
- Huang, Q., Zhang, G., Nan, J., Cheng, W., & Zhu-Salzman, K. (2021). Characterization of trehalose metabolic genes and corresponding enzymatic activities during diapause of Sitodiplosis mosellana. Journal of Insect Physiology. 135, 104324-104324.
- Ji, R., Fu, J., Shi, Y. u., Li, J., Jing, M., Wang, L. u., ... Fang, J. (2021). Vitellogenin from planthopper oral secretion acts as a novel effector to impair plant defenses.. New Phytol. 232(2), 802-817.
- Yang, J., Sun, X., Zhu-Salzman, K., Qin, Q., Feng, H., Kong, X., Zhou, X., & Cai, Q. (2021). Host-induced gene silencing of brown planthopper glutathione S-transferase gene enhances rice resistance to sap-sucking insect pests. Journal of Pest Science. 94(3), 769-781.
- Lei, J., & Zhu-Salzman, K. (2021). LATE ELONGATED HYPOCOTYL potentiates resistance conferred by CIRCADIAN CLOCK ASSOCIATED1 to aphid by co-regulating the expression of indole glucosinolate biosynthetic genes.. Plant Signal Behav. 16(6), 1908708-1908708.
- Wang, Yu (2015-12). ARGONAUTE4 (AGO4) is Involved in Arabidopsis Resistance against Green Peach Aphids. (Master's Thesis)
- Castillo Lopez, Diana (2015-05). Ecological Roles of Two Entomopathogenic Endophytes: Beauveria bassiana and Purpureocillium lilacinum in Cultivated Cotton. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lei, Jia Xin (2014-12). Molecular Mechanisms of Arabidopsis Resistance to Green Peach Aphid, Myzus Persicae. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ahn, Ji Eun (2008-08). Molecular Mechanisms Governing the Differential Regulation of Cysteine Proteases in Insect Adaptation to a Soybean Protease Inhibitor. (Doctoral Dissertation)