Over millions of years of co-evolution with insects, plants have developed various defense machineries that can be activated in response to insect herbivory. Insects, in turn, have developed a variety of strategies to evade these plant defense mechanisms. An improved understanding of this complex plant defense and insect counter-defense relationship will facilitate development of better strategies to improve host plant defense. Currently, we are using Arabidopsis to study plant defense signal transduction pathways against insect pests. Meanwhile, since effectiveness of plant defense is also determined by the insect response, my laboratory is also investigating how insects adapt to the challenge of plant defense molecules, as well as to human imposed management strategies, and is working to identify new insect vulnerable systems.
- Ph.D. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1994
- M.S. in , Fudan University - (Shanghai, Shanghai, China) 1988
- B.S. in , Fudan University - (Shanghai, Shanghai, China) 1985
- Cheng, W., Zhang, Y., Liu, W., Li, G., & Zhu‐Salzman, K. (2020). Molecular and functional characterization of three odorant‐binding proteins from the wheat blossom midge, Sitodiplosis mosellana. Insect science. 27(4), 721-734.
- Zhang, M., Sun, C., Liu, Y., Feng, H., Chang, H., Cao, S., ... Qin, Q. (2020). Transcriptome analysis and functional validation reveal a novel gene, BcCGF1, that enhances fungal virulence by promoting infection‐related development and host penetration. Molecular plant pathology. 21(6), 834-853.
- Chen, I. W., Grebenok, R. J., Schaller, H., Zhu-Salzman, K., & Behmer, S. T. (2020). Aphid growth and reproduction on plants with altered sterol profiles: novel insights using Arabidopsis mutant and overexpression lines. J Insect Physiol. 123, 104054-104054.
- Cheng, W., Li, X., Zhao, J., & Zhu‐Salzman, K. (2020). Cloning and characterization of Methoprene‐tolerant (Met) and Krüppel homolog 1 (Kr‐h1) genes in the wheat blossom midge, Sitodiplosis mosellana. Insect science. 27(2), 292-303.
- Meng, J., Lei, J., Davitt, A., Holt, J. R., Huang, J., Gold, R., ... Zhu-Salzman, K. (2020). Suppressing tawny crazy ant (Nylanderia fulva) by RNAi technology. Insect science. 27(1), 113-121.
- Wang, Yu (2015-12). ARGONAUTE4 (AGO4) is Involved in Arabidopsis Resistance against Green Peach Aphids. (Master's Thesis)
- Castillo Lopez, Diana (2015-05). Ecological Roles of Two Entomopathogenic Endophytes: Beauveria bassiana and Purpureocillium lilacinum in Cultivated Cotton. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lei, Jia Xin (2014-12). Molecular Mechanisms of Arabidopsis Resistance to Green Peach Aphid, Myzus Persicae. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ahn, Ji Eun (2008-08). Molecular Mechanisms Governing the Differential Regulation of Cysteine Proteases in Insect Adaptation to a Soybean Protease Inhibitor. (Doctoral Dissertation)