Over millions of years of co-evolution with insects, plants have developed various defense machineries that can be activated in response to insect herbivory. Insects, in turn, have developed a variety of strategies to evade these plant defense mechanisms. An improved understanding of this complex plant defense and insect counter-defense relationship will facilitate development of better strategies to improve host plant defense. Currently, we are using Arabidopsis to study plant defense signal transduction pathways against insect pests. Meanwhile, since effectiveness of plant defense is also determined by the insect response, my laboratory is also investigating how insects adapt to the challenge of plant defense molecules, as well as to human imposed management strategies, and is working to identify new insect vulnerable systems.
- Ph.D. in , Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1994
- M.S. in , Fudan University - (Shanghai, Shanghai, China) 1988
- B.S. in , Fudan University - (Shanghai, Shanghai, China) 1985
- Meng, J., Lei, J., Davitt, A., Holt, J. R., Huang, J., Gold, R., ... Zhu-Salzman, K. (2020). Suppressing tawny crazy ant (Nylanderia fulva) by RNAi technology. Insect science. 27(1), 113-121.
- Sanchez, L., Farber, C., Lei, J., Zhu-Salzman, K., & Kurouski, D. (2019). Noninvasive and Nondestructive Detection of Cowpea Bruchid within Cowpea Seeds with a Hand-Held Raman Spectrometer. Analytical® Chemistry. 91(3), 1733-1737.
- Martin, J. E., Bernal Jimenez, E. K., Cruz, M. G., Zhu-Salzman, K., Way, M. O., & Badillo-Vargas, I. E. (2019). Assessing the Potential Infection of Tagosodes orizicolus (Hemiptera: Delphacidae) by Rice Hoja Blanca Virus in Texas.. Journal of Economic Entomology.
- Lei, J., Jayaprakasha, G. K., Singh, J., Uckoo, R., Borrego, E. J., Finlayson, S., ... Zhu-Salzmana, K. (2019). CIRCADIAN CLOCK-ASSOCIATED1 Controls Resistance to Aphids by Altering Indole Glucosinolate Production. Plant Physiol. 181(3), 1344-1359.
- Lei, J., Meng, J., Chen, I. W., Cheng, W., Beam, A. L., Islam, M., ... Zhu-Salzman, K. (2019). Deleterious effects of electron beam irradiation on development and reproduction of tomato/potato psyllids, Bactericera cockerelli. Insect science.
- Wang, Yu (2015-12). ARGONAUTE4 (AGO4) is Involved in Arabidopsis Resistance against Green Peach Aphids. (Master's Thesis)
- Castillo Lopez, Diana (2015-05). Ecological Roles of Two Entomopathogenic Endophytes: Beauveria bassiana and Purpureocillium lilacinum in Cultivated Cotton. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lei, Jia Xin (2014-12). Molecular Mechanisms of Arabidopsis Resistance to Green Peach Aphid, Myzus Persicae. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ahn, Ji Eun (2008-08). Molecular Mechanisms Governing the Differential Regulation of Cysteine Proteases in Insect Adaptation to a Soybean Protease Inhibitor. (Doctoral Dissertation)