My areas of research are highly interdisciplinary and include automated assembly system design, control, integration, diagnosis, and preventative maintenance; optical and infrared imaging for product/process characterization and failure prediction; micro/nano manufacturing; and design of technology for automation and robotics education.
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University - (Amarillo, Texas, United States) 1995
- M.S. in Industrial Engineering, Saint Mary's University - (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) 1989
- B.S. in Industrial Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology - (Taipei, Taiwan) 1982
- Wang, C., Chen, S., Tsai, P., Chiou, C., & Hsieh, S. (2017). The fabrication and thermal properties of bismuth–aluminum oxide nanothermometers. NANOTECHNOLOGY. 28(4), 045705-045705.
- Xie, J., Hsieh, S., Wang, H., & Tan, Z. (2016). Thermography and machine learning techniques for tomato freshness prediction.. APPLIED OPTICS. 55(34), d131-d139.
- Wang, H., Hsieh, S., Peng, B. o., & Zhou, X. (2016). Non-metallic coating thickness prediction using artificial neural network and support vector machine with time resolved thermography. Infrared Physics & Technology. 77, 316-324.
- A., E., Hsieh, S., & Wang, Y. (2016). Miniaturized Automated Color Sorting System using Programmable Logic Control and Web-based Server. International Journal of Computer Applications. 143(2), 12-20.
- Shum, A., Wang, Y., & Hsieh, S. (2016). Design, Build and Remote Control of a Miniature Automated Robotic Sorting System. International Journal of Computer Applications. 141(3), 12-17.
- Hsieh, S. J. (2016). Design and evaluation of sensor module for portable programmable logic controller (PLC) kit for automated control education. 2016-June,
- Hart, T. G., & Hsieh, S. J. (2016). MAKER: Mobile device app for wireless control of a PLC-based automated system. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2016-June,
- Siddiqi, J. S., & Hsieh, S. J. (2016). MAKER: Programmable logic control (PLC)-based automated system for water-level control for teaching pneumatics and hydraulics. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2016-June,
- Hsieh, S. J. (2016). Research projects and lessons learned from research experiences for undergraduates' program in automated system design. 2016-June,
- Xie, J., Hsieh, S., Wang, H., Tan, Z., & Zhang, J. (2016). Prediction of tomato freshness using infrared thermal imaging and transient step heating. MATHEMATICAL MODELING AND ESTIMATION TECHNIQUES IN COMPUTER VISION. 9861, 98610b-98610b-10.
- Faculty Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service Award conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - Department of Engineering Technology and Industrial Distribution 2014
- Li, Qinbo (2016-08). An Intelligent Tutoring System for Computer Numerical Control. (Master's Thesis)
- Chiou, Chung-Han (2016-05). Understanding and Prediction of Liquids Retention on Commonly Used Plastics with Symmetrically Arranged Structure. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chen, Po-Chun (2014-05). Fabrication of Metal/Oxide Nanostructures by Anodization Processes for Biosensor, Drug Delivery and Supercapacitor Applications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ramos, Jorge Adrian (2013-05). Development of a Robotic Device for the Physical Training of Human Upper Extremity. (Master's Thesis)
- Giron Palomares, Jose (2012-05). Understanding, Modeling and Predicting Hidden Solder Joint Shape Using Active Thermography. (Doctoral Dissertation)