Our research focuses on experimentally verified computational film flow models for the prediction of the static and dynamic force response of fluid film bearings; in particular hydrostatic bearings, tilting pad bearings, annular pressure seals, squeeze film dampers, floating ring bearings, gas damper bearings and seals, foil gas bearings and porous-carbon bearings.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1985
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh - (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) 1982
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Escuela Politecnica Javeriana del Ecuador - (Quito, Ecuador) 1981
- Arihara, H., Kameyama, Y., Baba, Y., & San Andres, L. (2019). A Thermoelastohydrodynamic Analysis for the Static Performance of High-Speed-Heavy Load Tilting-Pad Journal Bearing Operating in the Turbulent Flow Regime and Comparisons to Test Data. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING FOR GAS TURBINES AND POWER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME. 141(2),
- Jeung, S. H., San AndrÃ©s, L., Den, S., & Koo, B. (2019). Effect of Oil Supply Pressure on the Force Coefficients of a Squeeze Film Damper Sealed with Piston Rings. Proceedings of STLE/ASME International Joint Tribology Conference, IJTC 2006. 141(6),
- San Andres, L., Koo, B., & Jeung, S. (2019). Experimental Force Coefficients for Two Sealed Ends Squeeze Film Dampers (Piston Rings and O-Rings): An Assessment of Their Similarities and Differences. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING FOR GAS TURBINES AND POWER-TRANSACTIONS OF THE ASME. 141(2),
- Wu, T., & San Andres, L. (2019). Gas labyrinth seals: On the effect of clearance and operating conditions on wall friction factors - A CFD investigation. TRIBOLOGY INTERNATIONAL. 131, 363-376.
- Abdollahi, B., & San Andres, L. (2019). Improved Estimation of Bearing Pads' Inlet Temperature: A Model for Lubricant Mixing at Oil Feed Ports and Validation against Test Data. Proceedings of STLE/ASME International Joint Tribology Conference, IJTC 2006. 141(3),
- San AndrÃ©s, L., & Koo, B. (2019). Effect of lubricant supply pressure on SFD performance: Ends sealed with O-rings and piston rings. Mechanisms and Machine Science. Mechanisms and Machine Science. (pp. 359-371). Springer International Publishing.
- Koo, B., Jeung, S. H., & AndrÃ©s, L. S. (2018). Transient response of a squeeze film damper to impact loads: Experiments and predictions. 263-267.
- Devitt, D., San Andres, L., & Jeung, S. H. (2015). Carbon-graphite gas bearings for turbomachinery. 218-222.
- San Andrés, L., Jeung, S. H., & Bradley, G. (2015). Dynamic forced performance of short length open-ends squeeze film damper with end grooves. Mechanisms and Machine Science. 21, 855-866.
- San Andres, L., Li, Y., & ASME, .. (2015). EFFECT OF PAD FLEXIBILITY ON THE PERFORMANCE OF TILTING PAD JOURNAL BEARINGS - BENCHMARKING A PREDICTIVE MODEL. 7A,
- San Andres, L., Jeung, S. H., Rohmer, M., & Devitt, A. (2015). Experimental assessment of drag and rotordynamic response for a porous type gas bearing. 293-302.
- Mast-Childs Professorship in Tribology conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - This is an ongoing professorship. 2005