My primary area of interest is in molecular epidemiology and in particular investigating bacterial pathogen populations in the interface between humans and agricultural animals. I use molecular techniques such as next generation sequencing to investigate how bacterial populations change in response to selection pressures. One example is the unintended consequences of antimicrobial use on E. coli and Salmonella populations in the gut flora of cattle and swine. I am also interested in using whole genome sequencing to compare bacterial populations and improve upon current typing techniques. The increase of human community acquired cases of Clostridium difficile has led to the investigation of C. difficile as a potential foodborne pathogen and identified the need for an improved typing method for strains commonly found in animals and humans.
- Murray, S. A., Holbert, A. C., Norman, K. N., Lawhon, S. D., Sawyer, J. E., & Scott, H. M. (2020). Macrolide‐susceptible probiotic Enterococcus faecium ST296 exhibits faecal‐environmental‐oral microbial community cycling among beef cattle in feedlots. LETTERS IN APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY. 70(4), 274-281.
- Presby, J. A., Scott, E. M., Norman, K. N., Hoppes, S. M., & Tizard, I. (2020). Normative ocular data for juvenile and adult Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica). Vet Ophthalmol. 23(3), 526-533.
- Levent, G., Schlochtermeier, A., Ives, S. E., Norman, K. N., Lawhon, S. D., Loneragan, G. H., ... Scott, H. M. (2019). Population Dynamics of Salmonella enterica within Beef Cattle Cohorts Followed from Single-Dose Metaphylactic Antibiotic Treatment until Slaughter.. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY. 85(23),
- Gonzalez, S., Harvey, R. B., Scott, H. M., Lawhon, S. D., Vinasco, J., Mariño-Ramírez, L., & Norman, K. N. (2019). Whole-Genome Sequences of Salmonella enterica Serovar I 4,,12:i:- Isolates from Swine.. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 8(21),
- Taylor, E. A., Jordan, E. R., Garcia, J. A., Hagevoort, G. R., Norman, K. N., Lawhon, S. D., Pineiro, J. M., & Scott, H. M.,Taylor, E. A., Jordan, E. R., Garcia, J. A., Hagevoort, G. R., Norman, K. N., Lawhon, S. D., Piñeiro, J. M., & Scott, H. M. (2019). Effects of two-dose ceftiofur treatment for metritis on the temporal dynamics of antimicrobial resistance among fecal Escherichia coli in Holstein-Friesian dairy cows. PLoS ONE. 14(7), e0220068-e0220068.
- Norman, K. N., Harvey, R. B., Scott, H. M., Hume, M. E., Andrews, K., & Brawley, A. D. (2009). Varied prevalence of Clostridium difficile in an integrated swine operation. Anaerobe. 15(6), 256-260.