My research is highly interdisciplinary and focuses on groundwater sustainability, examining multiple aspects of the connections between the atmosphere, vegetation, soil, and groundwater. My current work has three main focus areas: 1) determining vegetation water requirements in groundwater dependent ecosystems, as needed to predict plant response to groundwater extraction; 2) improving the representation of hydrological and biogeochemical processes in Earth system models, which are vital to accurately predicting changes to climate and the hydrologic cycle; and 3) examining subsurface processes associated with engineered systems, such as in Managed Aquifer Recharge (MAR) projects and bioretention cells.
- Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States) 2009
- M.S. in Geological Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology - (Rolla, Missouri, United States) 2003
- B.S. in Geological Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology - (Rolla, Missouri, United States) 2002
- Prior, E. M., Brumbelow, K., & Miller, G. R. (2020). Measurement of above‐canopy meteorological profiles using unmanned aerial systems. Business Continuity and Homeland Security, Volume 1: The Challenge of the New Age. 34(3), 865-867.
- Solander, K. C., Newman, B. D., de Araujo, A. C., Barnard, H. R., Berry, Z. C., Bonal, D., ... Xu, C. (2020). The pantropical response of soil moisture to El Niño. Hydrol Earth Syst Sci. 24(5), 2303-2322.
- Grossiord, C., Christoffersen, B., Alonso-Rodríguez, A. M., Anderson-Teixeira, K., Asbjornsen, H., Aparecido, L., ... McDowell, N. G. (2019). Precipitation mediates sap flux sensitivity to evaporative demand in the neotropics. Oecologia. 191(3), 519-530.
- Moore, G. W., Orozco, G., Aparecido, L., & Miller, G. R. (2018). Upscaling transpiration in diverse forests: Insights from a tropical premontane site. ECOHYDROLOGY. (3),
- Smith, W. B., Miller, G. R., & Sheng, Z. (2017). Assessing aquifer storage and recovery feasibility in the Gulf Coastal Plains of Texas. Journal of Hydrology Regional Studies.
- Baldocchi, D., Chen, Q., Chen, X., Ma, S., Miller, G., Ryu, Y., ... Battles, J. (2010). The dynamics of energy, water, and carbon fluxes in a blue oak (quercus douglasii) Savanna in California. Ecosystem Function in Savannas: Measurement and Modeling at Landscape to Global Scales. (pp. 135-151). CRC Press.
Institutional Repository Documents4
- Miller, G., Moore, G., Cahill, A., Aparecido, L., Andrews, R., & Song, J. (2018). Texas A&M Soltis Center Forest Canopy Data, 2014.
- Miller, G., Moore, G., Cahill, A., Aparecido, L., Andrews, R., & Song, J. (2018). Texas A&M Soltis Center Forest Canopy Data, 2015.
- Miller, G., Moore, G., Cahill, A., Aparecido, L., Andrews, R., & Song, J. (2018). Texas A&M Soltis Center Forest Canopy Data, 2016.
- Miller, G., Moore, G., Cahill, A., Aparecido, L., & Song, J. (2018). Texas A&M Soltis Center Forest Canopy Data, 2017.
- CAREER: Science for Sustainable and Resilient Groundwater Management awarded by National Science Foundation 2014 - 2020
- Mehmood, Tayyab (2018-08). Numerical Modeling of Water Flux Interaction Between Brazos River Alluvium Aquifer and Brazos River: Testing of Alternative Conceptual Models. (Master's Thesis)
- Tao, Liting (2018-08). Feasibility Study and Numerical Modeling on Managed Aquifer Recharge Using Dry Wells in Harris County, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Smith, Wade Benjamin (2018-05). Improving Adoption of Aquifer Storage and Recovery in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Merket, Courtney Brooke (2017-12). Earth Systems Modeling in the Brazos River Alluvium Aquifer: Improvement of Computational Methods and Development of Conceptual Model. (Master's Thesis)
- Andrews, Ryan S (2016-05). The Temporal Variation of Vertical Micrometeorological Profiles in a Lower Montane Tropical Forest. (Master's Thesis)