My major research focus has been on developing and investigating innovative treatment methods for water, wastewater and hazardous wastes. These include chemical, physical and biological treatment methods for both organic and inorganic contaminants. Among the novel treatment processes we have developed are autotrophic denitrification with sulfur electron donors, inorganic oxide adsorbents for wastewater reuse, ultra-high lime and ultra-high lime with aluminum process for scalant removal in recycled water and zero-discharge desalination, the biostrip process for biological and physical treatment, degradative solidification/stabilization, chromium stabilization in the vadose zone, sulfur and iron-based reactive adsorbents, and advanced reduction processes. This research incorporates both experimental and modeling activities and is integrated with graduate and undergraduate education.
- Ph.D. in Sanitary Engineering, Cornell University - (Ithaca, New York, United States) 1976
- M.S. in Environmental Science and Engineering, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1974
- B.A. in Chemical Engineering, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1971
- Zavahir, S., Elmakki, T., Gulied, M., Ahmad, Z., Al-Sulaiti, L., Shon, H. K., ... Han, D. S. (2021). A review on lithium recovery using electrochemical capturing systems. Desalination. 500, 114883-114883.
- Vellanki, B. P., & Batchelor, B. (2021). Nitrate Reduction by the Ultraviolet-Sulfite Advanced Reduction Process. Environmental Engineering Science.
- Jung, B., Deng, W., Li, Y., Batchelor, B., & Abdel-Wahab, A. (2020). Simulated solar light-driven photocatalytic degradation of trichloroethylene in water using BiOBr promoted by sulfite addition. Environmental Sciences Europe. 32(1), 8.
- Li, C., Deng, W., Gao, C., Xiang, X., Feng, X., Batchelor, B., & Li, Y. (2019). Membrane distillation coupled with a novel two-stage pretreatment process for petrochemical wastewater treatment and reuse. Separation and Purification Technology. 224, 23-32.
- Deng, W., Pan, F., Batchelor, B., Jung, B., Zhang, P., Abdel-Wahab, A., Zhou, H., & Li, Y. (2019). Mesoporous TiO 2 –BiOBr microspheres with tailorable adsorption capacities for photodegradation of organic water pollutants: probing adsorption–photocatalysis synergy by combining experiments and kinetic modeling. Environmental Science Water Research & Technology. 5(4), 769-781.
- Lee, C., Han, D. S., Yoon, S. H., Park, S. H., Abdel-Wahab, A. I., & Batchelor, B. (2017). Effect of Anions on Electrochemical Degradation of Perchlorate in water Using Zero-valent Titanium. Taylor, J. C. (Eds.), Advances in Chemistry Research. Volume 34. (pp. 171-192). Nova Science Publishers.
- Han, D. S., Orillano, M., Duan, Y., Batchelor, B., Park, H., Hilal, N., & Abdel-Wahab, A. (2017). Effect of anions on removal of mercury(II) using fes-supported crossflow ultrafiltration. Ultrafiltration: Methods, Applications and Insights. (pp. 129-152).
- Han, D. S., Kim, E. J., Batchelor, B., & Abdel-Wahab, A. (2013). Sorption of mercury(II) to synthesized pyrite (FeS
2) and stabilization via surface reaction. Pyrite: Synthesis, Characterization and Uses. (pp. 93-122).
- Deng, W., Batchelor, B., Abdel-Wahab, A., & Li, Y. (2019). Mesoporous TiO2-BiOBr microspheres with tailorable adsorption capacities for photodegradation of organic water pollutants: Probing adsorption-photocatalysis synergy by combining experiments and kinetic modeling. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 257,
- Jung, B., Batchelor, B., & Abdel-Wahab, A. (2014). Effect of medium-pressure and low-pressure UV irradiation on bromate removal in an Advanced Reduction Process (ARP). ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 248,
- Botlaguduru, V., Batchelor, B., & Abdel-Wahab, A. (2013). Bromate removal by sulfite-UV advanced reduction process.
- Prakash, B., & Batchelor, B. (2012). Perchlorate and nitrate reduction by ARPs. 1068-1088.
- Tewari, S., & Batchelor, B. (2011). Capacitive desalination & purification of water: A focus on regeneration of exhausted carbon nanofoam.
- Merritt, S. D., Batchelor, B., Little, D. N., & Still, M. (1993). Applications of soil and cement chemistry to stabilization/solidification. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. (1424), 1-7.
- R.P. Gregory '32 Chair in Civil Engineering conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - This is ongoing. 2011
- Arthur McFarland Professorship conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - This professorship lasted from 2007 to 2011. 2007
- Botlaguduru, Venkata S (2016-05). UV-Sulfite Based Advanced Reduction Treatment of Disinfection Byproducts and Perfluorooctanoic Acid. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Duan, Yuhang (2016-05). Removal of Mercury from Water by a Reactive Adsorbent-Pyrite. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kaushik, Vishakha (2016-05). Arsenic Removal Using Advanced Reduction Process. (Master's Thesis)
- Wang, Li (2015-08). EBeam Irradiation for Water Reuse: Removal of Bromate. (Master's Thesis)
- Roy, Samarpita (2014-08). Effect of Extraction Using Ion-Exchange Resins on Batch Mixed-Acid Fermentations. (Master's Thesis)