I specialize in bilingual education and biliteracy, particularly for Hispanic, emergent bilinguals. My research also focuses on teacher education, specifically practitioner action research as a tool for mediating pedagogical development and professional identity.
- M.Ed. in Public School Administration, St. Thomas University - (Miami Gardens, Florida, United States)
- Ph.D. in Educational Psychology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States)
- M.A. in Spanish (Philology), University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States)
- B.A. in Spanish (Literature), The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States)
- Acosta, S. T., Chen, X., Goltz, H., Goodson, P., & Padrón, Y. (2018). A Case Study of Novice Bilingual Education Teachers Conducting Action Research and Diffusing Teaching Innovations. URBAN EDUCATION. 004208591880514-004208591880514.
- Gonzalez, J. E., Acosta, S., Davis, H., Pollard-Durodola, S., Saenz, L., Soares, D., Resendez, N., & Zhu, L. (2017). Latino Maternal Literacy Beliefs and Practices Mediating Socioeconomic Status and Maternal Education Effects in Predicting Child Receptive Vocabulary. EARLY EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT. 28(1), 78-95.
- Chen, X., Acosta, S., & Barry, A. E. (2017). Machine or Human? Evaluating the Quality of a Language Translation Mobile App for Diabetes Education Material.. JMIR diabetes. 2(1), e13-e13.
- Hsu, H., Lin, J., Kwok, O., Acosta, S., & Willson, V. (2017). The Impact of Intraclass Correlation on the Effectiveness of Level-Specific Fit Indices in Multilevel Structural Equation Modeling: A Monte Carlo Study. Educational and Psychological Measurement. 77(1), 5-31.
- Chen, X., Acosta, S., & Barry, A. E. (2016). Evaluating the Accuracy of Google Translate for Diabetes Education Material. JMIR diabetes. 1(1), e3-e3.