Our research focuses on identifying the neurobiological basis of neuropsychiatric disorders, such as drug alcohol use disorders. We investigate the cellular and circuit alterations that occur in areas of the brain in response to excessive, pathological alcohol consumption. We are particularly interested in changes that occur in specific populations of neurons and in specific afferent projections to these neurons. We are also interested in contributions of these changes to excessive, pathological alcohol consumption. The result of the research will guide future efforts toward the development of more effective therapeutics for alcohol use disorders.
- Gladstone Institutes - (San Francisco, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2004
- University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2003
- Ph.D. in , Chinese Academy of Sciences - (Beijing, Beijing, China) 1999
- M.S. in , Tongji University - (Shanghai, China) 1996
- M.D. in Medicine, Tongji University - (Shanghai, China) 1993
- Cheng, Y., Xie, X., Lu, J., Gangal, H., Wang, W., Melo, S., ... Wang, J. (2021). Optogenetic induction of orbitostriatal long-term potentiation in the dorsomedial striatum elicits a persistent reduction of alcohol-seeking behavior in rats. Neuropharmacology. 191, 108560-108560.
- Lu, J., Cheng, Y., Xie, X., Woodson, K., Bonifacio, J., Disney, E., ... Wang, J. (2020). Whole-Brain Mapping of Direct Inputs to Dopamine D1 and D2 Receptor-Expressing Medium Spiny Neurons in the Posterior Dorsomedial Striatum. ENEURO. 8(1), eneuro.0348-eneu20.2020.
- Roltsch Hellard, E., Binette, A., Zhuang, X., Lu, J., Ma, T., Jones, B., ... Wang, J. (2019). Optogenetic control of alcohol-seeking behavior via the dorsomedial striatal circuit. Neuropharmacology. 155, 89-97.
- Lu, J., Cheng, Y., Wang, X., Woodson, K., Kemper, C., Disney, E., & Wang, J. (2019). Alcohol intake enhances glutamatergic transmission from D2 receptor-expressing afferents onto D1 receptor-expressing medium spiny neurons in the dorsomedial striatum. NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY. 44(6), 1123-1131.
- Cheng, Y., Wang, X., Wei, X., Xie, X., Melo, S., Miranda, R. C., & Wang, J. (2018). Prenatal Exposure to Alcohol Induces Functional and Structural Plasticity in Dopamine D1 Receptor‐Expressing Neurons of the Dorsomedial Striatum. ALCOHOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH. 42(8), 1493-1502.