Recognizing health status is influenced by a vast and interconnected set of determinants, Dr. Matthew Lee Smith has devoted his career to create synergistic partnerships and initiatives to encourage positive lifestyles and reduce rates of preventable morbidity and mortality. He has earned a national reputation as a falls expert and evaluator of evidence-based programs for older adults. His involvement in local, state, and national evaluation initiatives have been integral to foster understanding about the reach, adoption, implementation, effectiveness, and maintenance of different evidence-based programs targeting key populations in a variety of community, school, workplace, and healthcare sectors. Dr. Smith's evaluation efforts have been funded by organizations including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Administration on Aging (AoA), National Council on Aging (NCOA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2010
- Ph.D. in Health Education, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2008
- M.P.H. in , Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Public Health Education, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 2002
- Flanagan, M. W., Goltz, H. H., Henson, J. W., & Smith, M. L. (2021). Associations of practical, emotional, and physical problems with psychosocial distress among cancer patients. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology. 1-15.
- Yoshikawa, A., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2021). Differential risk of falls associated with pain medication among community-dwelling older adults by cognitive status.. Age and Ageing.
- Towne, S. D., Liu, X., Li, R., Smith, M. L., Maddock, J. E., Tan, A., ... Yuan, Z. (2021). Social and Structural Determinants of Health Inequities: Socioeconomic, Transportation-Related, and Provincial-Level Indicators of Cost-Related Forgone Hospital Care in China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 18(11), 6113-6113.
- Vollmer Dahlke, D., Lee, S., Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Popovich, S., & Ory, M. G. (2021). Attitudes Toward Technology and Use of Fall Alert Wearables in Caregiving: Survey Study. JMIR Aging. 4(1), e23381-e23381.
- Jacobs, W., Idoko, E., Montgomery, L., Smith, M. L., & Merianos, A. L. (2021). Concurrent E-cigarette and marijuana use and health-risk behaviors among U.S. high school students. PREVENTIVE MEDICINE. 145, 106429-106429.
- Miles, T. P., & Smith, M. L. (2013). Does healthcare quality contribute to disparities? An examination of aging and minority status issues in America. Whitfield, K. E., & Baker, T. A. (Eds.), Handbook of Minority Aging. (pp. 237-254). Springer Publishing Company.
- Smith, M. L., Belza, B., Altpeter, M., Ahn, S., Dickerson, J. B., & Ory, M. G. (2012). Disseminating an Evidence-Based Disease Self-Management Program for Older Americans: Implications for Diversifying Participant Reach Through Delivery Site Adoption. Maddock, J. (Eds.), Public Health - Social and Behavioral Health. InTech.
- Hochhalter, A. K., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2010). Successful Aging and Resilience: Applications for Public Health and Health Care. Resnick, B., Gwyther, L. P., & Roberto, K. A. (Eds.), Resilience in Aging. (pp. 15-29). Springer New York.
- Smith, M. L., Adler, C., Patel, A., Venigalla, S., Ahn, S., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HEALTHCARE-RELATED FRUSTRATIONS AMONG ADULTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 314-314.
- Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FALL PREVENTION INTERVENTION SUSTAINABILITY AFTER THE FUNDING ENDS. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Shubert, T., Ory, M., Schneider, E. C., & Smith, M. L. (2016). INNOVATION AND FALL PREVENTION. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Schneider, E. C., Shubert, T., Smith, M. L., Wilson, A., & Ory, M. (2016). MULTI-LEVEL FALL PREVENTION OVER TIME: THE STATE-DRIVEN FALL PREVENTION PROJECT. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Ory, M., Smith, M. L., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., & Shubert, T. (2016). SYSTEMS CHANGE FOR FALL PREVENTION PROGRAM DELIVERY. GERONTOLOGIST. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Ory, M., & Smith, M. L. (2020). Social isolation: The COVID-19 pandemic’s hidden health risk for older adults, and how to manage it. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Honore Goltz, H., & Smith, M. L. (2018). Think teens need the sex talk? Older adults may need it even more. - An article submitted to The Conversation 54-56.
- Ory, M., Belza, B., & Smith, M. L. (2018). As life expectancies rise, so are expectations for healthy aging. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Smith, M. L., Schneider, E., Ory, M., & Shubert, T. (2018). Before the fall: How oldsters can avoid one of old age’s most dangerous events. - An article submitted to The Conversation