Recognizing health status is influenced by a vast and interconnected set of determinants, Dr. Matthew Lee Smith has devoted his career to create synergistic partnerships and initiatives to encourage positive lifestyles and reduce rates of preventable morbidity and mortality. He has earned a national reputation as a falls expert and evaluator of evidence-based programs for older adults. His involvement in local, state, and national evaluation initiatives have been integral to foster understanding about the reach, adoption, implementation, effectiveness, and maintenance of different evidence-based programs targeting key populations in a variety of community, school, workplace, and healthcare sectors. Dr. Smith's evaluation efforts have been funded by organizations including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Administration on Aging (AoA), National Council on Aging (NCOA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2010
- Ph.D. in Health Education, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2008
- M.P.H. in , Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Public Health Education, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 2002
- Smith, M. L., Lee, S., Jr, T., Han, G., Quinn, C., Pena-Purcell, N. C., & Ory, M. G. (2020). Impact of a Behavioral Intervention on Diet, Eating Patterns, Self-Efficacy, and Social Support. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 52(2), 180-186.
- Sherman, L. D., & Smith, M. L. (2019). African American Fathers' Perceived Role for the Dietary Behaviors of Their Children: A Qualitative Study. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF MENS HEALTH. 13(2), 1557988319840851-155798831984085.
- Smith, M. L., Jr, T., Bergeron, C. D., Zhang, D., McCord, C., Mier, N., & Goltz, H. H. (2019). Geographic disparities associated with travel to medical care and attendance programs to prevent/manage chronic illness among middle-aged and older adults in Texas. RURAL AND REMOTE HEALTH. 19(4), 5147.
- Yoshikawa, A., & Smith, M. L. (2019). Mediating Role of Fall-related Efficacy in a Fall Prevention Program. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HEALTH BEHAVIOR. 43(2), 393-405.
- Lee, S., Smith, M. L., Kromann, L., & Ory, M. G. (2019). Medical Students and Childhood Obesity: Health Disparity and Implication for Education. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 16(14), 2578-2578.
- Miles, T. P., & Smith, M. L. (2013). Does healthcare quality contribute to disparities? An examination of aging and minority status issues in America. Whitfield, K. E., & Baker, T. A. (Eds.), Handbook of Minority Aging. (pp. 237-254). Springer Publishing Company.
- Lee, M., Belza, B., Altpeter, M., Ahn, S., B., J., & G., M. (2012). Disseminating an Evidence-Based Disease Self-Management Program for Older Americans: Implications for Diversifying Participant Reach Through Delivery Site Adoption. Maddock, J. (Eds.), Public Health - Social and Behavioral Health. InTech.
- Hochhalter, A. K., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2011). Successful aging and resilience: Applications for public health and health care. Resnick, B., Gwyther, L. P., & Roberto, K. A. (Eds.), Resilience in Aging: Concepts, Research, and Outcomes. (pp. 15-29). Springer New York.
- Smith, M. L., Adler, C., Patel, A., Venigalla, S., Ahn, S., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HEALTHCARE-RELATED FRUSTRATIONS AMONG ADULTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 314-314.
- Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FALL PREVENTION INTERVENTION SUSTAINABILITY AFTER THE FUNDING ENDS. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Shubert, T., Ory, M., Schneider, E. C., & Smith, M. L. (2016). INNOVATION AND FALL PREVENTION. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Schneider, E. C., Shubert, T., Smith, M. L., Wilson, A., & Ory, M. (2016). MULTI-LEVEL FALL PREVENTION OVER TIME: THE STATE-DRIVEN FALL PREVENTION PROJECT. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Ory, M., Smith, M. L., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., & Shubert, T. (2016). SYSTEMS CHANGE FOR FALL PREVENTION PROGRAM DELIVERY. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.