Recognizing health status is influenced by a vast and interconnected set of determinants, Dr. Matthew Lee Smith has devoted his career to create synergistic partnerships and initiatives to encourage positive lifestyles and reduce rates of preventable morbidity and mortality. He has earned a national reputation as a falls expert and evaluator of evidence-based programs for older adults. His involvement in local, state, and national evaluation initiatives have been integral to foster understanding about the reach, adoption, implementation, effectiveness, and maintenance of different evidence-based programs targeting key populations in a variety of community, school, workplace, and healthcare sectors. Dr. Smith's evaluation efforts have been funded by organizations including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Administration on Aging (AoA), National Council on Aging (NCOA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2010
- Ph.D. in Health Education, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2008
- M.P.H. in , Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Public Health Education, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 2002
- Merianos, A. L., Jacobs, W., Oloruntoba, O., Gittens, O. E., & Smith, M. L. (2020). Perceived Severity of Interrelated Cardiometabolic Risk Factors among U.S. College Students. American Journal of Health Education. 51(4), 1-10.
- Towne, S. D., Smith, M. L., Xu, M., Lee, S., Sharma, S., Smith, D., ... Ory, M. G. (2020). Trends in Geospatial Drivers of Fall-Related Hospitalizations and Asset Mapping of Fall Prevention Interventions for Vulnerable Older Adults.. JOURNAL OF AGING AND HEALTH. 32(5-6), 898264318822381-089826431882238.
- Smith, M. L., Bergeron, C. D., Lachenmayr, S., Eagle, L. A., & Simon, J. R. (2020). A Brief Intervention for Malnutrition among Older Adults: Stepping Up Your Nutrition. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 17(10), 3590-3590.
- Towne, S. D., Smith, M. L., Li, Y., Dowdy, D., Ahn, S., Lee, S., Yoshikawa, A., & Jiang, L.,Jr, T., Smith, M. L., Li, Y., Dowdy, D., Ahn, S., Lee, S., Yoshikawa, A., & Jiang, L. (2020). A Multi-Level Analyses of Charges and Cost of Fall-Related Hospitalizations Among Older Adults: Individual, Hospital, and Geospatial Variation. JOURNAL OF AGING & SOCIAL POLICY. 1-22.
- Smith, M. L., Lee, S., Towne, S. D., Han, G., Quinn, C., Peña-Purcell, N. C., & Ory, M. G. (2020). Impact of a Behavioral Intervention on Diet, Eating Patterns, Self-Efficacy, and Social Support. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 52(2), 180-186.
- Miles, T. P., & Smith, M. L. (2013). Does healthcare quality contribute to disparities? An examination of aging and minority status issues in America. Whitfield, K. E., & Baker, T. A. (Eds.), Handbook of Minority Aging. (pp. 237-254). Springer Publishing Company.
- Smith, M. L., Belza, B., Altpeter, M., Ahn, S., Dickerson, J. B., & Ory, M. G. (2012). Disseminating an Evidence-Based Disease Self-Management Program for Older Americans: Implications for Diversifying Participant Reach Through Delivery Site Adoption. Maddock, J. (Eds.), Public Health - Social and Behavioral Health. InTech.
- Hochhalter, A. K., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2011). Successful Aging and Resilience: Applications for Public Health and Health Care. Resnick, B., Gwyther, L. P., & Roberto, K. A. (Eds.), Resilience in Aging. (pp. 15-29). Springer New York.
- Smith, M. L., Shubert, T., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FALL PREVENTION INTERVENTION SUSTAINABILITY AFTER THE FUNDING ENDS. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Schneider, E. C., Shubert, T., Smith, M. L., Wilson, A., & Ory, M. (2016). MULTI-LEVEL FALL PREVENTION OVER TIME: THE STATE-DRIVEN FALL PREVENTION PROJECT. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Ory, M., Smith, M. L., Schneider, E. C., Wilson, A., & Shubert, T. (2016). SYSTEMS CHANGE FOR FALL PREVENTION PROGRAM DELIVERY. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Smith, M. L., Adler, C., Patel, A., Venigalla, S., Ahn, S., Towne, S., & Ory, M. (2016). FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HEALTHCARE-RELATED FRUSTRATIONS AMONG ADULTS WITH CHRONIC CONDITIONS. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 314-314.
- Shubert, T., Ory, M., Schneider, E. C., & Smith, M. L. (2016). INNOVATION AND FALL PREVENTION. The Gerontologist. 56(Suppl_3), 273-273.
- Ory, M., & Smith, M. L. (2020). Social isolation: The COVID-19 pandemic’s hidden health risk for older adults, and how to manage it.
- Honore Goltz, H., & Smith, M. L. (2018). Think teens need the sex talk? Older adults may need it even more.
- Ory, M., Belza, B., & Smith, M. L. (2018). As life expectancies rise, so are expectations for healthy aging.
- Smith, M. L., Schneider, E., Ory, M., & Shubert, T. (2018). Before the fall: How oldsters can avoid one of old age’s most dangerous events.