I maintain several research areas within behavioral pharmacology. My current research focus is on the interactions between feeding control systems (i.e. ghrelin) and the reinforcing actions of drugs such as cocaine and amphetamine. My research has been funded by NIDA and by corporate sponsors such as Thompson Medical Company and Knoll Pharmaceutical.
- Ph.D. in Psychology, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1980
- M.S. in Psychology, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1977
- B.A. in Psychology, California State University, Bakersfield - (Bakersfield, California, United States) 1975
- Rodriguez, J. A., Fehrentz, J. A., Martinez, J., Ben Haj Salah, K., & Wellman, P. J. (2018). The GHR-R antagonist JMV 2959 neither induces malaise nor alters the malaise property of LiCl in the adult male rat. Physiology & Behavior. 183, 46-48.
- Bates, M., Hofford, R. S., Emery, M. A., Wellman, P. J., & Eitan, S. (2018). The role of the vasopressin system and dopamine D1 receptors in the effects of social housing condition on morphine reward. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 188, 113-118.
- Emery, M. A., Bates, M., Wellman, P. J., & Eitan, S. (2017). Burn injury decreases the antinociceptive effects of opioids. Behav Pharmacol. 28(4), 285-293.
- Emery, M. A., Shawn Bates, M. L., Wellman, P. J., & Eitan, S. (2017). Hydrocodone is more effective than morphine or oxycodone in suppressing the development of burn-induced mechanical allodynia. Pain Medicine (United States). 18(11), 2170-2180.
- Emery, M. A., Bates, M., Wellman, P. J., & Eitan, S. (2017). Hydrocodone, but Neither Morphine nor Oxycodone, Is Effective in Suppressing Burn-Induced Mechanical Allodynia in the Uninjured Foot Contralateral to the Burn. JOURNAL OF BURN CARE & RESEARCH. 38(5), 319-326.
- Wellman, P. J., & McMahon, L. R. (2001). Basic Measures of Food Intake. Current Protocols in Neuroscience. John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Hoebel, B. G., & Wellman, P. J. (2001). Overview of Methodological Approaches to the Study of Ingestive Behavior. Curr Protoc Neurosci. Current Protocols in Neuroscience. (pp. 8.6A.1-8.6A.5). Wiley.
- Wellman, P. J., Bellinger, L. L., Cepeda-Benito, A., Susabda, A., Ho, D. H., & Davis, K. W. (2005). Meal patterns and body weight after nicotine in male rats as a function of chow or high-fat diet. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 82(4), 627-634.
- Wellman, P. J. (2005). Pain reactivity in the adult rat after phentermine, dexfenfluramine, or their combination.. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 19(5), A36-A36.
- Marr, K. N., Wellman, P. J., Kramer, P. R., Kramer, S. F., & Bellinger, L. L. (2003). Effects of i.c.v. infusions of neuropeptide-Y (NPY) and cocaine-amphetamine-regulated-transcript (CART) on meal patterns in nicotine (N) treated rats. The FASEB Journal. 17(5), A865-A865.
- Wellman, P. J., Jones, S. L., & Miller, D. K. (2003). Effects of preexposure to dexfenfluramine, phentermine, dexfenfluramine-phentennine, or fluoxetine on sibutramine-induced hypophagia in the adult rat. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 75(1), 103-114.
- Miller, D. K., McMahon, L. R., Green, T. A., Nation, J. R., & Wellman, P. J. (1998). Repeated administration of ephedrine induces behavioral sensitization in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 140(1), 52-56.
- Clifford, Patrick Shane (2013-05). Impact of Ghrelin Receptor Antagonism on Nicotine and Cocaine Drug Reactivity in Rats. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Davis, Kristina W. (2008-05). Binge-eating behavior in mice: influences of restriction and palatability in a limited access model. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rocha, Angelica (2007-05). Methamphetamine self-administration in rats developmentally exposed to lead. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ho, Dao Hong (2003-12). Cocaine hypophagia and hyperlocomotion in rats before and after exposure to a high-fat diet. (Master's Thesis)