Dr. Williams is Professor of Agricultural Economics and Co-Director of the Agribusiness, Food, and Consumer Economics Research Center (AFCERC). He is the AFCERC chief operations officer responsible for managing the research program of the Center and leads AFCERC research and outreach projects relating to commodity and agribusiness markets and policy and international trade and policy. He is also an Associate Member of the Department of International Affairs faculty in the Bush School of Government and Public Service. His areas of teaching and research emphases include commodity promotion programs, international agricultural trade and development, agricultural policy, and marketing and price analysis. In recent years, he has become particularly well known for his research on the economic effectiveness of commodity advertising and promotion programs, including those for soybeans, dairy, cotton, lamb, Florida orange juice, Texas citrus, Texas pecans, agricultural export programs, Norwegian seafood, and others. He is also well known for his research on U.S. and world oilseed and oilseed product markets and the U.S. livestock industry including issues related to sheep and lamb markets and the effects of concentration in the beef packing industry.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1981
- M.S. in Agricultural Economics, Purdue University - (West Lafayette, Indiana, United States) 1977
- B.S. in Economics with minor in Spanish, Brigham Young University - (Provo, Utah, United States) 1974
- Williams, G. W., & Capps, O. (2022). The apparent conflict of Norwegian pelagic fisheries management and Norwegian seafood council export promotion. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review. 25(3), 427-447.
- Williams, G. W., & Capps, O. (2020). Generic promotion of Norwegian seafood exports. International Food and Agribusiness Management Review. 23(3), 447-467.
- Williams, G. W., & Capps, O. (2020). Advertising with Supply Control: Some Implications of Norwegian Whitefish Export Promotion. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review. 49(3), 558-585.
- Williams, G. W., & Capps, O. (2020). Generic Promotion of Sorghum for Food and Industrial Uses. Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing. 32(1), 13-29.
- Williams, G. W., Capps, O., & Hanselka, D. (2018). U.S. National Economic Contribution of Generic Food and Agricultural Product Advertising. Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing. 30(2), 191-210.
- MACDONALD, S. A., RUPPEL, F. J., CLEMENS, R. L., HAYES, D. J., WILLIAMS, G. W., ROSSON, C. P., & MARCHANT, M. A. (1993). UNITED-STATES AND INTERNATIONAL AGRICULTURAL TRADE DATA - ALTERNATIVE SOURCES AND APPROPRIATE USES. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS. 75(5), 1293-1293.
- CAPPS, O., KIRBY, R., TSAI, R., & WILLIAMS, G. W. (1991). DEMAND FOR MEAT-PRODUCTS IN THE PACIFIC RIM REGION. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS. 73(5), 1547-1547.
- WILLIAMS, G. W., & DALE, B. E. (1991). PROSPECTS FOR HIGH-VALUE CROP AND LIVESTOCK PRODUCTS IN THE 1990S - ADVANCES IN PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY. AGRICULTURAL ISSUES IN THE 1990S. 227-237.
- Lee, Sang Hyeon (2014-12). Upstream Transmission Effects of Generic Advertising and Promotion: The Case of Soybeans. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ghosh, Somali (2014-05). Global Supply Chain Analysis of U.S. Lamb Promotion. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Moore, Eli Del (2008-05). An economic evaluation of the effectiveness of the Texas Pecan Checkoff Program. (Master's Thesis)