- Assistant Professor, Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning, School of Architecture
Sungmin Lee is an assistant professor in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning. His primary research interests are in understanding and creating healthy and safe environments for people of all ages. The aim of this research is to explore the relationship between the built/natural environment and public health. He is particularly interested in addressing the needs of vulnerable populations, such as older adults, the benefits of green space, and the mitigation of health disparities and environmental inequalities. His experiences in researching built/natural environment-public health relationships using diverse methods such as surveys, systematic social observations, GIS analyses, and field audits. His interdisciplinary experience working with collaborators in urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, social science, and public health enables me to become a versatile researcher to understand and explore diverse perspectives toward promoting healthy and safe environments for everyone. His research has been published in the Journal of Landscape and Urban Planning, Urban Forestry & Urban Greening, Health & Place, and Gerontologist. Before joining Texas A&M, he worked as an assistant professor at the Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture, University of Connecticut.
- Ph.D. in Urban and Regional Science, Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2018
- M.L.A. in Landscape Architecture and Rural Systems Engineering, Seoul National University - (Seoul, South Korea) 2009
- B.S. in Landscape Architecture and Rural Systems Engineering, Seoul National University - (Seoul, South Korea) 2007
- Lee, S., Lee, R. J., & Scherr, S. (2023). How tree canopy cover can reduce urban suicide attempts: A geospatial analysis of the moderating role of area deprivation. LANDSCAPE AND URBAN PLANNING. 230, 104606-104606.
- Towne, S. D., Xu, M., Zhu, X., Ory, M. G., Lee, S., & Lee, C. (2022). Differential Effects of a Global Public Health Crisis on Physical Activity: Evidence From a Statewide Survey From the United States.. HERD. 15(4), 63-80.
- Lee, S., Ye, X., Nam, J. W., & Zhang, K. (2022). The association between tree canopy cover over streets and elderly pedestrian falls: A health disparity study in urban areas.. Soc Sci Med. 306, 115169-115169.
- Lim, Y. M., Baek, J., Lee, S., & Kim, J. S. (2022). Association between Loneliness and Depression among Community-Dwelling Older Women Living Alone in South Korea: The Mediating Effects of Subjective Physical Health, Resilience, and Social Support.. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 19(15), 9246-9246.
- Song, Y., Lee, S., Park, A. H., & Lee, C. (2022). COVID-19 impacts on non-work travel patterns: A place-based investigation using smartphone mobility data. ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING B-URBAN ANALYTICS AND CITY SCIENCE. 23998083221124930-239980832211249.
- LAND601 Land Arch Des Thry App I Instructor
- LAND602 Land Arch Des Thy App Ii Instructor
- LAND693 Professional Study Instructor
- PLAN624 Digital Communication In Laup Instructor
- URPN220 Digital Communication I Instructor