Salmonella is a leading cause of food borne illness, causing an estimated 1.4 million cases per year in the United States. Serovar Typhimurium is responsible for about 26% of these cases (CDC, 1998). The vast majority of Salmonella infections in mammals and birds are the result of infection with S. enterica subspecies I serovars, yet very few genetic factors that are necessary for intestinal persistence in these reservoirs have been described. Intestinal persistence is critical for shedding and transmission of serovar Typhimurium in mammals and birds, yet this phenomenon and interaction of the organism with the host immune system during persistent infection is poorly understood. The long-term goal of our work is to understand the genetic basis of persistence and host range restriction of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium in its mammalian hosts.
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2004
- D.V.M. in Mixed Animal Track, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2001
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Microbiology, Tufts University - (Medford, Massachusetts, United States) 1999
- A.B. in Biology, Brown University - (Providence, Rhode Island, United States) 1989
- Ellis, M. J., Tsai, C. N., Johnson, J. W., French, S., Elhenawy, W., Porwollik, S., ... Brown, E. D. (2019). A macrophage-based screen identifies antibacterial compounds selective for intracellular Salmonella Typhimurium.. Nature Communications. 10(1), 197.
- Zhi, Y., Narindoshvili, T., Bogomolnaya, L., Talamantes, M., El Saadi, A., Andrews-Polymenis, H., & Raushel, F. M. (2019). Deciphering the Enzymatic Function of the Bovine Enteric Infection-Related Protein YfeJ from Salmonella enterica Serotype Typhimurium. BIOCHEMISTRY. 58(9), 1236-1245.
- Westerman, T. L., Bogomolnaya, L., Andrews-Polymenis, H. L., Katherine Sheats, M., & Elfenbein, J. R. (2018). The Salmonella type-3 secretion system-1 and flagellar motility influence the neutrophil respiratory burst. PLoS ONE. 13(9),
- Elfenbein, J. R., Knodler, L. A., Schaeffer, A. R., Faber, F., BÃ¤umler, A. J., & Andrews-Polymenis, H. L. (2017). A salmonella regulator modulates intestinal colonization and use of phosphonoacetic acid. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 7(MAR), 69.
- Spiga, L., Winter, M. G., de Carvalho, T. F., Zhu, W., Hughes, E. R., Gillis, C. C., ... Winter, S. E. (2017). An Oxidative Central Metabolism Enables Salmonella to Utilize Microbiota-Derived Succinate. CELL HOST & MICROBE. 22(3), 291-+.
- Canals, R., McClelland, M., Santiviago, C. A., & Andrews-Polymenis, H. (2011). Genomics of Salmonella Species. Wiedmann, M., & Zhang, W. (Eds.), Genomics of Foodborne Bacterial Pathogens. (pp. 171-235). Springer New York.
- Reynolds, M. M., Canals, R., McClelland, M., & Andrews-Polymenis, H. (2011). High-throughput screening to determine the genetic requirements for Salmonella survival under different growth conditions. Porwolik, S. (Eds.), Salmonella: From Genome to Function. (pp. 69-90). Caister Academic Press.
- Andrews-Polymenis, H., & Bäumler, A. J. (2006). Pathogenomics of Salmonella Species. Pathogenomics: Genome Analysis of Pathogenic Microbes. (pp. 109-124). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA.
- Pezoa, D., Andrews-Polymenis, H., Blondel, C. J., Leiva, L., Pinto, B., Alvarez, S. A., Santiviago, C. A., & Contreras, L. I. (2012). The type VI secretion systems encoded in Salmonella pathogenicity islands SPI-6 and SPI-19 contribute to intestinal colonization of chickens and systemic spread by Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium. FEBS Journal. 279, 227-228.
- Lenz, L. L., & Andrews-Polymenis, H. L. (2008). Silencing the alarm: insights into the interaction between host and pathogen. Conference on Microbial Pathogenesis: Mechanisms of Infectious Disease.. EMBO Reports. 9(1), 27-32.
- Elfenbein, Johanna R (2014-08). Novel Mechanisms Used by Salmonella Typhimurium to Colonize the Intestine. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sivula, Christine Patricia (2008-08). Comparison of cecal colonization of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium in white leghorn chicks and Salmonella-resistant mice. (Master's Thesis)