My interests lie in understanding the precise spatial-temporal resolution of RNA processing events in Mtb infected macrophages during early infection, focusing on the following questions: Are gene expression changes upon Mtb infection regulated post-transcriptionally (i.e. at the level of pre-mRNA splicing, mRNA release from chromatin, or mRNA export)? Does Mtb hijack normal post-transcriptional RNA processing events in order to promote its survival in the macrophage? Are Mtb-induced changes dependent on the ESX-1 secretion system and can we implicate any specific bacterial gene products? Working alongside Dr. Robert Watson, my group will work to understand how regulation of RNA metabolism can influence early stages of Mtb pathogenesis, with the eventual goal of modulating said pathways in order to control Mtb infection.
- University of California, San Francisco - (San Francisco, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2014
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Yale University - (New Haven, Connecticut, United States) 2008
- B.A. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Hamilton College - (Clinton, New York, United States) 2003
- Patrick, K. L., Bell, S. L., Weindel, C. G., & Watson, R. O. (2019). Exploring the \"Multiple-Hit Hypothesis\" of Neurodegenerative Disease: Bacterial Infection Comes Up to Bat. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 9,
- Patrick, K. L., Wojcechowskyj, J. A., Bell, S. L., Riba, M. N., Jing, T., Talmage, S., ... Watson, R. O. (2018). Quantitative Yeast Genetic Interaction Profiling of Bacterial Effector Proteins Uncovers a Role for the Human Retromer in Salmonella Infection. Cell systems. 7(3), 323-338.
- Nissen, K. E., Homer, C. M., Ryan, C. J., Shales, M., Krogan, N. J., Patrick, K. L., & Guthrie, C. (2017). The histone variant H2A.Z promotes splicing of weak introns. Genes & development. 31(7), 688-701.
- Patrick, K. L., Bell, S. L., & Watson, R. O. (2016). For Better or Worse: Cytosolic DNA Sensing during Intracellular Bacterial Infection Induces Potent Innate Immune Responses. JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR BIOLOGY. 428(17), 3372-3386.
- Patrick, K. L., Ryan, C. J., Xu, J., Lipp, J. J., Nissen, K. E., Roguev, A., ... Guthrie, C. (2015). Genetic Interaction Mapping Reveals a Role for the SWI/SNF Nucleosome Remodeler in Spliceosome Activation in Fission Yeast. PLoS Genetics. 11(3), e1005074-e1005074.
- West, K., Patrick, K. L., & Watson, R. O. (2018). Heterogeneous ribonucleoprotein M influences specific cytokine outcomes upon Salmonella Typhimurium infection. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 200(1),
- Weindel, C. G., Bell, S. L., Vail, K., West, A. P., Patrick, K. L., & Watson, R. O. (2018). LRRK2 is required for macrophage homeostasis and the control of type I IFN. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 200(1),