Research in my laboratory employs multidisciplinary approaches to study the cellular and molecular neurobiology of cell-autonomous circadian clocks and the signal transduction pathway responsible for circadian photoentrainment. The aims of current projects are to study: 1) the role of microRNAs (miRNAs) and other signaling molecules in the local temporal coordination of cell- and tissue-specific circadian clocks; 2) mutual interactions between the circadian clock mechanism, inflammatory signaling and metabolism; and 3) the mechanisms linking circadian rhythm disruption with metabolic disorders such as obesity and diabetes, and with pathological changes in neuroprotective responses to stroke.
- University of Rochester Medical Center - (Rochester, New York, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1987
- Ph.D. in Neurobiology, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 1984
- M.S. in Neurobiology, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 1979
- B.S. in Zoology, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1976
- Kim, S., Neuendorff, N., & Earnest, D. J. (2019). Role of Proinflammatory Cytokines in Feedback Modulation of Circadian Clock Gene Rhythms by Saturated Fatty Acids. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 8909.
- Goldsmith, C. S., Kim, S. M., Karunarathna, N., Neuendorff, N., Toussaint, L. G., Earnest, D. J., & Bell-Pedersen, D. (2019). inhibition of p38 MAPK activity leads to cell type-specific effects on the molecular circadian clock and time-dependent reduction of glioma cell invasiveness (vol 18, 43, 2018). BMC CANCER. 19(1), 101.
- McQueen, C. M., Schmitt, E. E., Sarkar, T. R., Elswood, J., Metz, R. P., Earnest, D., Rijnkels, M., & Porter, W. W. (2018). PER2 regulation of mammary gland development. Development (Cambridge). 145(6), dev.157966-dev157966.
- Goldsmith, C. S., Kim, S. M., Karunarathna, N., Neuendorff, N., Toussaint, L. G., Earnest, D. J., & Bell-Pedersen, D. (2018). Inhibition of p38 MAPK activity leads to cell type-specific effects on the molecular circadian clock and time-dependent reduction of glioma cell invasiveness. BMC CANCER. 18(1), 43.
- Kim, S., Neuendorff, N., Alaniz, R. C., Sun, Y., Chapkin, R. S., & Earnest, D. J. (2018). Shift work cycle‐induced alterations of circadian rhythms potentiate the effects of high‐fat diet on inflammation and metabolism. The FASEB Journal. 32(6), 3085-3095.
- Earnest, D. J. (2009). Circadian Regulation by the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus. Encyclopedia of Neuroscience. (pp. 945-950). Elsevier.
- Turek, F. W., Earnest, D. J., & Swann, J. (1982). Splitting of the Circadian Rhythm of Activity in Hamsters. Vertebrate Circadian Systems. (pp. 203-214). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Earnest, D. J., Farnell, Y. Z., & Neuendorff, N. (2008). Effects of neonatal alcohol exposure on scn neurotransmitters involved in the light-dark regulation of circadian rhythms. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 32(6), 205A-205A.
- Earnest, D., Farnell, Y., & Neuendorff, N. (2007). Neonatal alcohol-induced changes in circadian rhythm photoentrainment are coupled with alterations in glutamatergic input systems in the SCN. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 31(6), 66A-66A.
- Maeng, J., Neuendorff, N., West, J. R., Chen, W., & Earnest, D. J. (2006). Neonatal alcohol exposure alters anatomical components of the pathway for photic entrainment in adult rats.. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 30(6), 298A-298A.
- Maeng, J., Neuendorff, N., West, J. R., Chen, W., & Earnest, D. J. (2006). Neonatal alcohol exposure alters the distribution of retinohypothalamic tract (RHT) fibers innervating the adult rat suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN).. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 30(6), 226A-226A.
- Earnest, D. J. (2005). Developmental alcohol and the regulation of cireadian rhythms. The FASEB Journal. 19(4), A232-A232.
- Kim, Sammoon (2017-08). Mutual Interactions Between Circadian Clocks, Inflammatory Signaling Pathways and Fatty Acid Metabolism. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Shende, Vikram Ravindra 1982- (2012-12). MicroRNAs Function as Cis- and Trans- Acting Modulators of Clock Gene Expression in SCN and Peripheral Circadian Oscillators. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Qu, Xiaoyu (2008-08). Timing Matters: The Role of Circadian Clock Genes In Development and Toxin Responses. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Menger, Gus John, III (2007-05). Comparison of circadian gene expression among different oscillator models: identification of critical output signals of the SCN pacemaker. (Doctoral Dissertation)