An important step to control the amount of RNA or protein in particular types of cells is at the level of transcription of genes. Our lab studies a multifunctional vertebrate transcriptional activator protein known as SBF/Staf/ZNF143. This protein binds to SPH sites within promoters of many genes that produce small stable RNAs (e.g., snRNAs and others) PLUS probably over 2000 promoters of genes that produce mRNAs. Two separate activation domains in this protein direct its action at small RNA vs. mRNA gene promoters. We are using zebrafish as a vertebrate model organism to study the roles of SBF/Staf during development. In vivo studies are coupled with biochemical and molecular biology methods to decipher the mechanisms by which this protein stimulates transcription of various types of genes.
- Huning, L., & Kunkel, G. R (2021). The ubiquitous transcriptional protein ZNF143 activates a diversity of genes while assisting to organize chromatin structure.. Gene. 769, 145205-145205.
- Kunkel, G. R., Lisciandro, H. G., & Winter, H. L (2020). The human chd8 gene is transcribed from two distant upstream promoters.. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 532(2), 190-194.
- Halbig, K. M., Lekven, A. C., & Kunkel, G. R (2012). The transcriptional activator ZNF143 is essential for normal development in zebrafish.. BMC Mol Biol. 13(1), 3-3.
- Curran, K., Lister, J. A., Kunkel, G. R., Prendergast, A., Parichy, D. M., & Raible, D. W (2010). Interplay between Foxd3 and Mitf regulates cell fate plasticity in the zebrafish neural crest.. Dev Biol. 344(1), 107-118.
- Halbig, K. M., Lekven, A. C., & Kunkel, G. R (2008). Zebrafish U6 small nuclear RNA gene promoters contain a SPH element in an unusual location.. Gene. 421(1-2), 89-94.
- Kunkel, G. R., & Domitrovich, A. M (2003). Multiple full-length human U6 snRNA genes are transcribed at different levels. FASEB JOURNAL. 17(4), A188-A188.
- Kunkel, G. R., Mach, C. M., Hargrove, B. W., & Stone, V (2002). The small RNA gene activator protein, SPH-binding factor/selenocysteine tRNA gene transcription activating factor, stimulates transcription of the human interferon regulatory factor-3 gene.. FASEB JOURNAL. 16(4), A10-A10.
- PARK, J. S., & KUNKEL, G. R (1994). BOTH RNA-POLYMERASE-III AND RNA-POLYMERASE-II RECOGNIZE THE HUMAN U6 PROMOTER IN-VITRO. JOURNAL OF CELLULAR BIOCHEMISTRY. 23-23.
- KUNKEL, G. R., DANZEISER, D. A., & URSO, O. E (1993). FUNCTIONAL-CHARACTERIZATION OF ELEMENTS IN A HUMAN U6 SMALL NUCLEAR-RNA GENE DISTAL CONTROL REGION. FASEB JOURNAL. 7(7), A1221-A1221.
- KUNKEL, G. R., & DANZEISER, D. A (1992). TRANSCRIPTION COMPLEX-FORMATION ON A HUMAN SMALL NUCLEAR-RNA GENE PROMOTER. FASEB JOURNAL. 6(1), A483-A483.
- REU Site: Summer Undergraduate Research Program in Biochemistry awarded by National Science Foundation 2014 - 2020
- REU Site: Summer Undergraduate Research Program In Biochemistry awarded by National Science Foundation 2009 - 2015