Dr. Gill's major research focus is the biology and application of the viruses of bacteria, called bacteriophages or simply phages. Phages are the most abundant organisms on Earth, and they are found ubiquitously in water, soil, and as part of the microbial flora of animals and plants. As natural predators of bacteria, phages are attractive agents for the control of pathogenic bacteria in humans, animals, and foods. The increasing prevalence of antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria, and the desire to curtail use of antibiotics in animal agriculture, has sparked interest in the use of phages as antimicrobials. Research in Dr. Gill's lab encompasses phage genomics, basic phage biology and the applications of phages in real-world settings.
- Ph.D. in Food Science, University of Guelph - (Guelph, Ontario, Canada)
- B.S. in Environmental Science, Brock University - (St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada)
- M.S. in Biology, Brock University - (St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada)
- Piya, D., Lessor, L., Koehler, B., Stonecipher, A., Cahill, J., & Gill, J. J. (2020). Genome-wide screens reveal Escherichia coli genes required for growth of T1-like phage LL5 and V5-like phage LL12.. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 10(1), 8058.
- Chung, M., Xie, Y., Newkirk, H., Liu, M., Gill, J. J., & Ramsey, J. (2020). Complete Genome Sequence of Salmonella enterica Siphophage Shemara.. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 9(6),
- Blick, A. K., Giaretta, P. R., Sprayberry, S., Bush-Vadala, C., Paulk, C. B., Boeckman, J., ... Rech, R. R. (2019). Comparison of 2 fixatives in the porcine colon for in situ microbiota studies. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97(12), 4803-4809.
- Crossland, W. L., Shaw, J. P., O'Leary, C., Gill, J., & Liu, M. (2019). Complete Genome Sequence of Citrobacter freundii Siphophage Sazh.. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 8(50),
- Bonasera, R. M., Korn, A., Newkirk, H., O'Leary, C., Gill, J., & Liu, M. (2019). Coding-Complete Genome Sequence of Staphylococcus aureus Podophage Portland.. Microbiology Resource Announcements. 8(47),
- Scott, H. M., Acuff, G., Bergeron, G., Bourassa, M. W., Gill, J., Graham, D. W., ... Wittum, T. E. (2019). Critically important antibiotics: criteria and approaches for measuring and reducing their use in food animal agriculture. Wiley.
- Kahn, L. H., Bergeron, G., Bourassa, M. W., De Vegt, B., Gill, J., Gomes, F., ... Topp, E. (2019). From farm management to bacteriophage therapy: strategies to reduce antibiotic use in animal agriculture.. Wiley.
- Summer, E. J., Liu, M., Summer, N. S., Gill, J. J., Janes, C., & Young, R. (2011). Phage of sulfate reducing bacteria isolated from high saline environment. NACE - International Corrosion Conference Series.
- Duarte, I., Wang, G., Gill, J. J., Young, R. F., LiPuma, J. J., & Gonzalez, C. F. (2010). A broad host range tailocin from Burkholderia. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 100(6), S31-S31.
- Summer, N. S., Summer, E. J., Gill, J., & Young, R. (2008). Phage remediation of microbe-induced corrosion. 3, 1616-1627.
- Piya, Denish Kumar (2018-12). Interactions between Host and Phage Encoded Factors Shape Phage Infection. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Xie, Yicheng (2018-12). Identifying and Characterizing Bacteriophages Capable of Inactivating Salmonella Isolated from Environmental Samples as a Pre-Harvest Antimicrobial Intervention. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sprayberry, Sarah Regan (2018-05). Development of a Weaned Pig Model of Enterotoxigenic E.coli-induced Environmental Enteropathy. (Master's Thesis)