Dr. Ali's research and scholarship focus on the architecture of waste and the constructive technique, within materials and methods of conventional practice. His work explores the relationship between structure, construction, and tectonics.
Dr. Ali is the founder and director of the Resource-Based Design Research Lab at Texas A&M University. The lab is dedicated to research and develop solutions for building components and assemblies made from the waste flow and by-products from industrial manufacturing. The lab partners with the United States Business Council for Sustainable Development (US BCSD), the industry and other academic institutions in cross-disciplinary collaboration to design and assess new forms of architecture and products. Dr. Ali is currently leading a project with General Motors and Zahner to design building envelopes and roofing systems from GM by-products. He is an international leading figure advocating for resource reuse in the building and construction industry and his work on innovating the architectural design process for resource reuse has been published and presented in top journals, proceedings and conferences worldwide.
- M.S. in Architecture and Building Construction, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 2012
- Ph.D. in Architecture and Design Research, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 2012
- M. Arch. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 2004
- B.F.A. in Architecture, Alexandria University - (Alexandria, Egypt) 1997
- Ali, A. K., Wang, Y. i., & Alvarado, J. L. (2019). Facilitating industrial symbiosis to achieve circular economy using value-added by design: A case study in transforming the automobile industry sheet metal waste-flow into Voronoi facade systems. Journal of Cleaner Production. 234, 1033-1044.
- Ali, A. K. (2019). A case study in developing an interdisciplinary learning experiment between architecture, building construction, and construction engineering and management education. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management. ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print), 2040-2059.
- Ali, A. K. (2017). Unconventional Engagement: Reviving the Urban Marketplace. The Plan Journal. 1(2),
- Ali, A. K., Badinelli, R., & Jones, J. R. (2013). Re-Defining the Architectural Design Process through Building a Decision-Support Framework for Design with Reuse. The International Journal of Sustainability Policy and Practice. 8(1), 1-18.
- Ali, A. K. (2019). Mapping a Resource-Based Design Workflow to Activate a Circular Economy in Building Design and Construction. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE AND EARLY CAREER SCIENTISTS SCHOOL ON ENVIRONMENTAL OBSERVATIONS, MODELLING AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS (ENVIROMIS-2016). 225(1), 012010-012010.
- Ali, A. K., & Badinelli, R. (2016). Novel Integration of Sustainable and Construction Decisions into the Design Bid Build Project Delivery Method Using BPMN. WORLD MULTIDISCIPLINARY CIVIL ENGINEERING-ARCHITECTURE-URBAN PLANNING SYMPOSIUM 2016, WMCAUS 2016. 145, 164-171.