The Karpac Lab is broadly interested in the origins of ancient adaptive signaling networks that: (I) direct energy homeostasis, and (II) subsequently drive the aging process. We primarily use the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster as a genetic model to investigate the function and integration of signaling networks at multiple levels of biological organization: from molecules, to cells and tissues, to inter-organ communication, to organismal physiology and aging.
- Buck Institute for Research on Aging - (Novato, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2014
- University of Rochester - (Rochester, New York, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2012
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience and Neuroendocrinology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center - (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States) 2007
- B.S. in Molecular Biology, Grove City College - (Grove City, Pennsylvania, United States) 2003
- Molaei, M., Vandehoef, C., & Karpac, J. (2019). NF-B Shapes Metabolic Adaptation by Attenuating Foxo-Mediated Lipolysis in Drosophila.. Developmental Cell. 49(5), 802-810.e6.
- Mlih, M., Khericha, M., Birdwell, C., West, A. P., & Karpac, J. (2018). A virus-acquired host cytokine controls systemic aging by antagonizing apoptosis. PLoS Biol. 16(7),
- Fuentes, N. R., Mlih, M., Barhoumi, R., Fan, Y. Y., Hardin, P., Steele, T. J., ... Chapkin, R. S. (2018). Long-chain n-3 fatty acids attenuate oncogenic kras-driven proliferation by altering plasma membrane nanoscale proteolipid composition. CANCER RESEARCH. 78(14), 3899-3912.
- Zhao, X., & Karpac, J. (2017). Muscle Directs Diurnal Energy Homeostasis through a Myokine-Dependent Hormone Module in Drosophila. Current biology : CB. 27(13), 1941-1955.e6.
- Luis, N. M., Wang, L., Ortega, M., Deng, H., Katewa, S. D., Li, P., ... Kapahi, P. (2016). Intestinal IRE1 Is Required for Increased Triglyceride Metabolism and Longer Lifespan under Dietary Restriction. CELL REPORTS. 17(5), 1207-1216.