I work at the interface of three disciplines: geometric modeling, human-computer interactions and design research. Broadly, I am interested in investigating the role of mixed-initiative interactions for augmenting human expression and creativity in product, industrial and engineering design. The central objective of my research is to enable expression of design intent for idea generation during early phase conceptual design. To this end, my work involves development of new techniques in computer-aided design (CAD), geometry & image processing, information visualization for conceptual design, mobile & wearable interfaces for creativity support, computer-aided ergonomics, and AR/VR (augmented and virtual reality) interfaces for design.
- Subramanian, S. G., Eng, M., Krishnamurthy, V. R., & Akleman, E. (2019). Delaunay Lofts: A Biologically Inspired Approach for Modeling Space Filling Modular Structures. Computers & Graphics. 82, 73-83.
- Piya, C., Vinayak, .., & Ramani, K. (2016). Proto-TAI++: Exploring Perceptually Consistent Creation of Planar Shape Assemblies Through Multimodal Tangible Interactions. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering. 16(3), 030906-030906.
- Vinayak, .., & Ramani, K. (2016). Extracting hand grasp and motion for intent expression in mid-air shape deformation: A concrete and iterative exploration through a virtual pottery application. Computers & Graphics. 55, 143-156.
- Vinayak, .., & Ramani, K. (2015). A gesture-free geometric approach for mid-air expression of design intent in 3D virtual pottery. CAD Computer Aided Design. 69, 11-24.
- Vinayak, .., Murugappan, S., Piya, C., & Ramani, K. (2013). Handy-Potter: Rapid Exploration of Rotationally Symmetric Shapes Through Natural Hand Motions. Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering. 13(2), 021008-021008.
- Chen, T., Subramanian, S. G., & Krishnamurthy, V. R. (2019). Mini-Map: Mixed-Initiative Mind-Mapping via Contextual Query Expansion.
- Mohanty, R. R., Bohari, U. H., Vinayak, .., Ragan, E., & ASME, .. (2018). KINESTHETICALLY AUGMENTED MID-AIR SKETCHING OF MULTI-PLANAR 3D CURVE-SOUPS. 1B-2018,
- Bohari, U., Chen, T., & Vinayak, .. (2018). To Draw or Not to Draw: Recognizing Stroke-Hover Intent in Non-instrumented Gesture-free Mid-Air Sketching. 177-188.
- Piya, C., -, V., Chandrasegaran, S., Elmqvist, N., & Ramani, K. (2017). Co-3Deator: A Team-First Collaborative 3D Design Ideation Tool. 2017-May, 6581-6592.
- Huo, K. e., Vinayak, .., & Ramani, K. (2017). Window-Shaping: 3D Design Ideation by Creating on, Borrowing from, and Looking at the Physical World. 37-45.