- Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Irma Lerma Rangel School of Pharmacy
- Associate Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Irma Lerma Rangel School of Pharmacy
1. Obesity associated metabolic syndrome (MetS) is both a US and a worldwide epidemic and a major burden to healthcare system. Chronic low-grade inflammation (CLGI) is a well-established characteristic of the obese-human condition and though, the gastrointestinal (GI) mucosa is the first tissue that interacts with dietary components and luminal microbiota both of which are known to regulate obesity, the research on the role of GI-mucosa in obesity associated MetS is lacking. Findings from my lab support a key role of Janus kinase 3 (Jak3), a non-receptor tyrosine kinase, in intestinal and systemic CLGI associated obesity and diabetes in both an animal-model and in humans. Our publications, and unpublished data indicate that Jak3 regulates; colonic and systemic CLGI, and multiple symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Our goal is to determine the associated underlying mechanisms. Our current focus is on tissue-specific roles of Jak3 and associated signaling complexes in CLGI-onset as a precursor for; (a) obesity and diabetes, (b) Obesity and Alzheimer's disease, and (c) inflammatory bowel disease.
2. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that includes Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammatory condition of gastrointestinal tract. Annual death from these diseases are over 70,000.00, and the incidences of new cases have been rising over the years. Because the repairs of intestinal mucosa (Restitution) are compromised during IBD, the research focus of our lab is to dissect the roles of intestinal epithelial, intestinal immune cells and gut microbiota in mucosal restitution. Our lab was pioneered the functions of Jak3 in intestinal epithelial mucosa. We show that IL-2 (a cytokine produced during intestinal inflammation) promotes mucosal wound repair through Jak3 complexed with villin, ShcA, and ?-catenin. Studies are underway to define the tissue-specific Jak3-mediated signaling pathways that regulate CLGI as a precursor for the onset of IBD.
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center - (Memphis, Tennessee, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2002
- Ph.D. in Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur - (Kharagpur, India) 2001
- M.S. in Marine Biotechnology, Goa University - (Taleigao, India) 1996
- Mishra, J., Stubbs, M., Kuang, L., Vara, N., Kumar, P., & Kumar, N. (2022). Inflammatory Bowel Disease Therapeutics: A Focus on Probiotic Engineering.. Mediators Inflamm. 2022, 9621668-15.
- Kumar, P., Mishra, J., & Kumar, N. (2022). Mechanistic Role of Jak3 in Obesity-Associated Cognitive Impairments.. Nutrients. 14(18), 3715-3715.
- Kumar, N., Surani, S., Udeani, G., Mathew, S., John, S., Sajan, S., & Mishra, J. (2021). Drug-induced liver injury and prospect of cytokine based therapy; A focus on IL-2 based therapies.. Life Sci. 278, 119544-119544.
- Kumar, N., Kuang, L., Villa, R., Kumar, P., & Mishra, J. (2021). Mucosal Epithelial Jak Kinases in Health and Diseases.. Mediators Inflamm. 2021, 6618924-17.
- Mishra, J., Simonsen, R., & Kumar, N. (2019). Intestinal breast cancer resistance protein (BCRP) requires Janus kinase 3 activity for drug efflux and barrier functions in obesity.. J Biol Chem. 294(48), 18337-18348.
- Mishra, J., & Kumar, N. (2015). Structure and Function of Jak3- SH2 Domain. SH Domains. 209-227. Springer Nature.
- Kumar, N., Amin, K., & Mishra, J. (2020). Identification of Molecular Switch Regulating Intestinal Breast Cancer Resistance Protein (BCRP) Mediated Drug Efflux in Obesity. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY. 190(12), S13-S13.
- Kumar, N., Mishra, J., Alpini, G., Ludovica, C., Kyritsi, .., Konstantina, .., ... Heather, F. (2020). Role of Jak3 in hepatic inflammation during ulcerative colitis. FASEB JOURNAL. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Kumar, N., Mishra, J., & Kumar, P. (2017). Chronic Low-grade Inflammation in Obesity and Diabetes associated Colorectal Cancer Development. FASEB JOURNAL. 31,
- Mishra, J., & Kumar, N. (2017). Role of breast cancer resistance protein in obesity associated chronic low grade inflammation. FASEB JOURNAL. 31,
- Mishra, J., Verma, R. K., Yang, X., & Kumar, N. (2016). Role of Janus-Kinase 3 in Lung Inflammation. FASEB JOURNAL. 30,
- Kumar, N., & Mishra, J (2016). Methods of Screening for Janus Kinase 3 Interacting Compounds.
- PHAR627 Biochemistry Instructor
- PHAR726 Microbiology/immunology Instructor
- PHAR785 Independent Study Instructor
- PHAR811 Crtcl Care, Gi, Pulm, Rheum, Instructor
- PHAR813 Ipt Viii: Onc, Trnsplt, Genomc Instructor