My group studies the role of the ocean in regulating atmospherically important trace gases. A variety of trace gases including halocarbons (e.g. methyl halides, trihalomethanes), nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, and methane are both produced and degraded in the ocean. The distribution and strength of the various oceanic sources and sinks impacts the exchange of these gases between the ocean and atmosphere. Through ship-board measurements, laboratory studies and modeling, my research group examines the role/magnitude of oceanic influence on trace gases that are important in the atmosphere as stratospheric ozone depletors or greenhouse gases.
We also study the impact of organic matter remineralization on dissolved inorganic carbon and pH. This relates to my trace gas research in that the oxidation of organic matter increases CO2, and to characterize the dissolved CO2 also requires understanding the dissolved inorganic carbon (DIC). In addition to measuring CO2 in the air and seawater, we also measure the DIC and total alkalinity (TA). This has allowed my research group to begin characterizing the DIC/pH system in the deep Gulf of Mexico. I have also been working with biologists on laboratory studies looking at the impacts of ocean acidification on various organisms and processes (e.g. toxin production).
- Ph.D. in Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1994
- B.S. in Chemistry, University of Massachusetts Amherst - (Amherst Center, Massachusetts, United States) 1989
- Chapman, P., DiMarco, S. F., Key, R. M., Previti, C., & Yvon-Lewis, S. (2018). Age Constraints on Gulf of Mexico Deep Water Ventilation as Determined by 14C Measurements. RADIOCARBON. 60(1), 75-90.
- Butler, J. H., Yvon-Lewis, S. A., Lobert, J. M., King, D. B., Montzka, S. A., Bullister, J. L., ... Liu, Y. (2016). A comprehensive estimate for loss of atmospheric carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) to the ocean. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 16(17), 10899-10910.
- Kodovska, F., Sparrow, K. J., Yvon-Lewis, S. A., Paytan, A., Dimova, N. T., Lecher, A., & Kessler, J. D. (2016). Dissolved methane and carbon dioxide fluxes in Subarctic and Arctic regions: Assessing measurement techniques and spatial gradients. EARTH AND PLANETARY SCIENCE LETTERS. 436, 43-55.
- Chipperfield, M. P., Liang, Q., Rigby, M., Hossaini, R., Montzka, S. A., Dhomse, S., ... Mahieu, E. (2016). Model sensitivity studies of the decrease in atmospheric carbon tetrachloride. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 16(24), 15741-15754.
- Liu, Y., Thornton, D., Bianchi, T. S., Arnold, W. A., Shields, M. R., Chen, J., & Yvon-Lewis, S. A. (2015). Dissolved organic matter composition drives the marine production of brominated very short-lived substances.. Environmental science & technology. 49(6), 3366-3374.
- Yvon-Lewis, S., & Butler, J. H. (2014). Stratospheric Chemistry Topics: Halogen Sources, Natural (Methyl Bromide and Related Gases). Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences: Second Edition. (pp. 228-232). Elsevier.
- Liu, Y., Pavia, A., Walsh, G., Kuo, L., Chu, K., Yang, S., ... Knap, A. (2019). Distribution of Per- and Polyfluorinated Alkyl Substances (PFAS) in Galveston Bay, TX. ACS Photonics. 257,
- Estimating fluxes of CO2 and CH4 along the Siberian Yensei River awarded by National Science Foundation 2016 - 2017
- Young, Jordan Wayne (2016-08). Surface and Deepwater Dissolved Inorganic Carbon and pH in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. (Master's Thesis)
- Smyth, Alison Michelle (2014-08). The Effects of Ozone Deposition and Dissolved Organic Matter on Manganese Speciation in the Surface Ocean. (Master's Thesis)
- Du, Mengran (2014-08). Determining the Fate of Methane Released from the Seafloor in Deep and Shallow Water Environments. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liu, Yina (2013-08). Global Distributions and Natural Sources of Brominated very Short-Lived Substances. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Garcia Tigreros, Fenix (2013-05). The Combined Effect of Ocean Acidification and Euthrophication on water pH and Aragonite Saturation State in the Northern Gulf of Mexico. (Master's Thesis)