Schwartz is Associate Professor of History and Associate Director of the Center of Digital Humanities Research. He is also the Director of Syriaca.org and General Editor of Syriac Persons, Events, and Relations, a prosopographical project producing a linked-open database encoded in TEI, an XML markup language. The forthcoming digital publication will provide new data about people in Syriac texts: their names, dates, important events, possessions, ethnic identity, language, education, people to whom they wrote letters, religion, vocation, etc.
- Ph.D. in History, Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 2009
- M.A. in History, Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States) 2003
- Cert. in Classics (Post-Baccalaureate), University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2001
- M.A. in Christian Thought, Trinity International University - (Deerfield, Illinois, United States) 1998
- Schwartz, D. L. (2020). Preaching Christology in the Roman Near East: A Study of Jacob of Serugh. CHURCH HISTORY. (4), 909-911.
- Schwartz, D. L. (2019). Tradition and Innovation: Baptismal Rite and Mystagogy in Theodore of Mopsuestia and Narsai of Nisibis. CHURCH HISTORY. 88(2), 482-484.
- Gibson, N. P., Michelson, D. A., & Schwartz, D. L. (2017). From manuscript catalogues to a handbook of Syriac literature: Modeling an infrastructure for Syriaca.org.
- Schwartz, D. L. (2011). Religious Violence and Eschatology in the Syriac Julian Romance. JOURNAL OF EARLY CHRISTIAN STUDIES. 19(4), 565-587.
- Schwartz, D. L. (2016). Discourses of Religious Violence and Christian Charity: The Christianization of Syria in Jacob of Sarug's On the Fall of the Idols. Motions of Late Antiquity. 129-150. Brepols.
- Michelson, D. A., & Schwartz, D. L. (2016). Syriaca.org: New Digital Tools for the Study of the Medieval Middle East. Vladimirskij Gosudarstvennyj Universitet.
- Schwartz, D. L. (2011). Keeping Secrets and Making Christians: Catechesis and the Revelation of the Christian Mysteries. Mohr Siebeck.
Repository Documents / Preprints1
- Schwartz, D. L., Gibson, N. P., & Torabi, K. (2022). Modeling a Born-Digital Factoid Prosopography using the TEI and Linked Data. Journal of the Text Encoding Initiative.