My research interests are in the areas of computer and intelligent systems application to power distribution systems, distribution automation and management, fault diagnosis, estimation of remaining life of transformers, intelligent reconfiguration, system modeling and simulation for hybrid vehicles, and engineering education.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Howard University - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1987
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Southern University - (Chittagong, Bangladesh) 1985
- Bassey, O., Chen, C., & Butler-Purry, K. L. (2021). Linear power flow formulations and optimal operation of three-phase autonomous droop-controlled Microgrids. Electric Power Systems Research. 196, 107231-107231.
- Bassey, O., & Butler-Purry, K. L. (2021). Islanded Microgrid Restoration Studies with Graph-Based Analysis.. CoRR. abs/2103.16709,
- Oren, M., Pedersen, S., & Butler-Purry, K. L. (2021). Teaching Digital Circuit Design With a 3-D Video Game: The Impact of Using In-Game Tools on Students Performance. IEEE Transactions on Education. (1),
- Oren, M., Pedersen, S., & Butler-Purry, K. L. (2021). Teaching Digital Circuit Design With a 3-D Video Game: The Impact of Using In-Game Tools on Students' Performance.. IEEE Trans. Educ.. 64, 24-31.
- Bassey, O., & Butler-Purry, K. L. (2020). Black Start Restoration of Islanded Droop-Controlled Microgrids. Energies. 13(22), 5996-5996.
- Kundur, D., Mashayehk, S., Zourntos, T., & Butler-Purry, K. (2012). Cyber-attack impact analysis of smart grid. Smart Grid Communications and Networking. 353-372. Cambridge University Press.
- Butler-Purry, K., & Chou, H. (2011). Real-Time Rapid Embedded Power System Control Prototyping Simulation Test-Bed Using LabVIEW and RTDS. Folea, S. (Eds.), Practical Applications and Solutions Using LabVIEW&#8482; Software. 83-108. InTech.
- Srinivasan, V., Butler-Purry, K., & Pedersen, S. (2011). Developing Educational Games for Engineering Education. Patrick Felicia. (Eds.), Advances in Game-Based Learning. 913-938. IGI Global.
- Butler-Purry, K. L. (2006). In Search of Community: The Challenges and Successes of an Isolated Engineer. Stanley, C. A. (Eds.), Faculty of Color: Teaching in Predominantly White Colleges and Universities. 115-122. Anker Publishing Company.
- Bassey, O., Chen, B. o., Butler-Purry, K. L., & Chen, C. (2019). Dynamic Simulation of Distribution Systems and Microgrids for Reconfiguration Studies using PSCAD/EMTDC. 2019 North American Power Symposium (NAPS), 2019 North American Power Symposium (NAPS). 00, 1-6.
- Bassey, O., Butler-Purry, K. L., & Chen, B. o. (2019). Active and Reactive Power Sharing in Inverter Based Droop-Controlled Microgrids. 2019 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM), 2019 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM). 00, 1-5.
- Tijani, S. A., Butler-Purry, K., & IEEE. (2019). Investigation of Approaches for Incorporating Smart Meter Data in Load and PV Models in Medium Voltage Power System Studies. 2019 IEEE TEXAS POWER AND ENERGY CONFERENCE (TPEC).
- Sahu, A., Goulart, A., & Butler-Purry, K. (2016). Modeling AMI network for real-time simulation in NS-3. 2016 Principles, Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm), 2016 Principles, Systems and Applications of IP Telecommunications (IPTComm). 1-8.
- Butler-Purry, K. L., Oren, M., Pedersen, S., Foreman, J., Obiomon, P., & Katangur, A. K. (2016). Improving learning of digital systems concepts using a video game. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings. 2016-June,
- Texas A&M To Establish Graduate And Professional School Texas A&M Today December 7, 2020
- Cantrell Family Creates Endowment To Support Aggie Graduate Students Texas A&M Today November 18, 2020
- Texas A&M Administrator Discusses Growing Up In The Segregated South Texas A&M Today November 6, 2020
- Sahu, Abhijeet (2018-05). Design of Real-Time Simulation Testbed for Advanced Metering Infrastructure (Ami) Network. (Master's Thesis)
- Abdullah, Ahmad Muhammad (2018-05). A New Solution for Improving Transmission Line Distance Protection Security During System-Wide Cascading Failures. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Aleithan, Ammar Fayez A (2018-05). Investigation of Adaptive Auto-Reclosing for Radial Distribution System with Distributed Energy Resources. (Master's Thesis)
- Chen, Bo (2017-05). Black Start Restoration for Electric Distribution Systems and Microgrids. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chou, Hung-Ming (2016-05). Investigation of Voltage Stability in Three-Phase Unbalanced Distribution Systems with DGs. (Doctoral Dissertation)