Our goal is to determine how proteins function in space and time in the context of complex cellular networks. We focus on chemistry-driven approaches to manipulate protein structure beyond what is feasible with standard genetics. In particular, we use semi-synthetic light-activatable proteins as biophysical probes to investigate protein mechanisms inside living cells. Areas of interest include the important but poorly understood process of protein S-acylation, signal transduction, and protein trafficking.
- Pellois, J. (2019). Efficient and Innocuous Live-Cell Delivery: Making Membrane Barriers Disappear to Enable Cellular Biochemistry: How Better Cellular Delivery Tools Can Contribute to Precise and Quantitative Cell Biology Assays.. BIOESSAYS. 41(6), e1900031-1900031.
- Brock, D. J., Kondow-McConaghy, H. M., Hager, E. C., & Pellois, J. (2019). Endosomal Escape and Cytosolic Penetration of Macromolecules Mediated by Synthetic Delivery Agents.. Bioconjugate Chemistry. 30(2), 293-304.
- Arora, M., Ganugula, R., Kumar, N., Kaur, G., Pellois, J. P., Garg, P., & Ravi Kumar, M. (2019). Next-Generation Noncompetitive Nanosystems Based on Gambogic Acid: In Silico Identification of Transferrin Receptor Binding Sites, Regulatory Shelf Stability, and Their Preliminary Safety in Healthy Rodents. ACS Applied Bio Materials. 2(8), 3540-3550.
- Brock, D. J., Kustigian, L., Jiang, M., Graham, K., Wang, T. Y., Erazo-Oliveras, A., ... Pellois, J. P. (2018). Efficient cell delivery mediated by lipid-specific endosomal escape of supercharged branched peptides. Traffic (Copenhagen, Denmark). 19(6), 421-435.
- Allen, J. K., Brock, D. J., Kondow-McConaghy, H. M., & Pellois, J. P. (2018). Efficient delivery of macromolecules into human cells by improving the endosomal escape activity of cell-penetrating peptides: Lessons learned from dfTAT and its analogs. BIOMOLECULES. 8(3), 50-50.
- Najjar, Kristina (2017-08). Identifying and Characterizing Molecular Parameters that Modulate the Endosomal Escape of Cationic Cell- Penetrating Peptides: A Structure Activity Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Ting-Yi (2016-08). Membrane Oxidation Governed Direct Plasma Membrane Translocation of Cell-Penetrating Peptides in Live Cells: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Erazo, Alfredo (2014-12). Cytosolic Delivery of Proteins, Peptides and Cell-Impermeable Small Molecules Into Live Cells Utilizing Virus-Inspired Multivalent Cell-Penetrating Peptides: Principles and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Muthukrishnan, Nandhini (2014-05). Intracellular Delivery Using Fluorophore-CPP Conjugates and Light: Mechanisms and Implications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Johnson, Gregory Andrew (2013-08). Targeted Killing of Bacteria by Conjugation of a Soluble Photosensitizer to an Antimicrobial Peptide: Priniciples and Mechanisms. (Doctoral Dissertation)