Using cutting-edge technologies in molecular biology and plant genetics, my Sugarcane Breeding program at Texas A&M AgriLife Research has developed energy cane cultivars with high biomass yield, in partnership with Chevron Technologies Venture and BP Biofuels, that can be grown in a wider region of Texas and the United States, specifically designed for use in the production of bio-fuels. This program has also optimized efficient capabilities for scaling up production of feedstock planting stock. In addition, applying Next-Generation DNA sequencing techniques my program has identified and isolated genes controlling stress resistance, such as cold, which could prevent losses to the $3.8 billion US sugar industry and is developing DNA markers to tag important genes controlling cell wall composition and disease resistance.
- Cholula, U., da Silva, J. A., Marconi, T., Thomasson, J. A., Solorzano, J., & Enciso, J. (2020). Forecasting Yield and Lignocellulosic Composition of Energy Cane Using Unmanned Aerial Systems. Agronomy. 10(5), 718-718.
- Padilla, C. S., Damaj, M. B., Yang, Z., Molina, J., Berquist, B. R., White, E. L., ... Mandadi, K. K. (2020). High-Level Production of Recombinant Snowdrop Lectin in Sugarcane and Energy Cane. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 8, 977.
- da Silva, J. A., Solis-Gracia, N., Jifon, J., Souza, S. C., & Mandadi, K. K. (2020). Use of bioreactors for large-scale multiplication of sugarcane (Saccharum spp.), energy cane (Saccharum spp.), and related species. In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Plant. 56(3), 366-376.
- Bedre, R., Irigoyen, S., Schaker, P., Monteiro-Vitorello, C. B., Da Silva, J. A., & Mandadi, K. K. (2019). Genome-wide alternative splicing landscapes modulated by biotrophic sugarcane smut pathogen. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 8876.
- Andrade, L. M., Peixoto-Junior, R. F., Ribeiro, R. V., Nóbile, P. M., Brito, M. S., Marchiori, P., ... Creste, S. (2019). Biomass Accumulation and Cell Wall Structure of Rice Plants Overexpressing a Dirigent-Jacalin of Sugarcane (ShDJ) Under Varying Conditions of Water Availability. Frontiers in Plant Science. 10, 65.
- Ming, R., Moore, P. H., Wu, K., D'hont, A., Glaszmann, J. C., Tew, T. L., ... Paterson, A. H. (2005). Sugarcane Improvement through Breeding and Biotechnology. Plant Breeding Reviews. (pp. 15-118). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..