Using cutting-edge technologies in molecular biology and plant genetics, my Sugarcane Breeding program at Texas A&M AgriLife Research has developed energy cane cultivars with high biomass yield, in partnership with Chevron Technologies Venture and BP Biofuels, that can be grown in a wider region of Texas and the United States, specifically designed for use in the production of bio-fuels. This program has also optimized efficient capabilities for scaling up production of feedstock planting stock. In addition, applying Next-Generation DNA sequencing techniques my program has identified and isolated genes controlling stress resistance, such as cold, which could prevent losses to the $3.8 billion US sugar industry and is developing DNA markers to tag important genes controlling cell wall composition and disease resistance.
- Andrade, L. M., Peixoto-Junior, R. F., Ribeiro, R. V., Nobile, P. M., Brito, M. S., Ribeiro Marchiori, P. E., ... Creste, S. (2019). Biomass Accumulation and Cell Wall Structure of Rice Plants Overexpressing a Dirigent-Jacalin of Sugarcane (ShDJ) Under Varying Conditions of Water Availability. Frontiers in Plant Science. 10, 65.
- Bedre, R., Irigoyen, S., Schaker, P., Monteiro-Vitorello, C. B., Da Silva, J. A., & Mandadi, K. K. (2019). Genome-wide alternative splicing landscapes modulated by biotrophic sugarcane smut pathogen.. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 8876.
- Ramasamy, M., Mora, V., Damaj, M. B., Padilla, C. S., Ramos, N., Rossi, D., ... Mandadi, K. K. (2018). A biolistic-based genetic transformation system applicable to a broad-range of sugarcane and energycane varieties. GM Crops Food. 9(4), 1-17.
- da Silva, J., Costa, P., Marconi, T. G., Barreto, E., Solís-Gracia, N., Park, J. W., & Glynn, N. C. (2018). Agronomic and molecular characterization of wild germplasm saccharum spontaneum for sugarcane and energycane breeding purposes. Scientia Agricola. 75(4), 329-338.
- Yang, Y., Wilson, L. T., Jifon, J., Landivar, J. A., da Silva, J., Maeda, M. M., Wang, J., & Christensen, E. (2018). Energycane growth dynamics and potential early harvest penalties along the Texas Gulf Coast. Biomass and Bioenergy. 113, 1-14.
- Ming, R., Moore, P. H., Wu, K. K., D'Hont, A., Glaszmann, J. C., Tew, T. L., ... Paterson, A. H. (2010). Sugarcane Improvement through Breeding and Biotechnology. Plant Breeding Reviews. (pp. 15-118). John Wiley %26 Sons, Inc..