A long-term research goal of our group is to determine the molecular basis behind protein-lipid interactions and how these interactions can modulate the structure and function of membrane proteins, including their interactions with signaling molecules. What determines the selectivity of membrane proteins towards lipids, and the coupling between lipid binding events and function remains a key knowledge gap in the field; one that if addressed will significantly advance our understanding of how lipids participate in both normal and pathophysiological processes of membrane proteins. Therefore, there is a critical need to expand our fundamental knowledge in this emerging field by applying and developing innovative approaches to elucidate how lipids modulate the structure function of membrane proteins. To this end, we are studying a number of ion channels, receptors and other types of membrane proteins.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry and Molecular Biology, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2011
- M.S. in Biological Sciences, California State University, Chico - (Chico, California, United States) 2006
- B.S. in Biological Sciences, California State University, Chico - (Chico, California, United States) 2004
- Moghadamchargari, Z., Huddleston, J., Shirzadeh, M., Zheng, X., Clemmer, D. E., Raushel, F. M., Russell, D. H., & Laganows, A. (2019). Intrinsic GTPase Activity of K-RAS Monitored by Native Mass Spectrometry. BIOCHEMISTRY. 58(31), 3396-3405.
- Woodall, D. W., El-Baba, T. J., Fuller, D. R., Liu, W., Brown, C. J., Laganowsky, A., Russell, D. H., & Clemmer, D. E. (2019). Variable-Temperature ESI-IMS-MS Analysis of Myohemerythrin Reveals Ligand Losses, Unfolding, and a Non-Native Disulfide Bond. Analytical® Chemistry. 91(10), 6808-6814.
- Poltash, M. L., Shirzadeh, M., McCabe, J. W., Moghadamchargari, Z., Laganowsky, A., & Russell, D. H. (2019). New insights into the metal-induced oxidative degradation pathways of transthyretin. Chemical Communications. 55(28), 4091-4094.
- Poltash, M. L., McCabe, J. W., Shirzadeh, M., Laganowsky, A., & Russell, D. H. (2019). Native IM-Orbitrap MS: Resolving what was hidden. TrAC - Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 124, 115533-115533.
- Liu, Y., Locaste, C. E., Liu, W., Poltash, M. L., Russell, D. H., & Laganowsky, A. (2019). Selective binding of a toxin and phosphatidylinositides to a mammalian potassium channel. Nature Communications. 10(1), 1352.
- Faull, K. F., Dooley, A. N., Halgand, F., Shoemaker, L. D., Norris, A. J., Ryan, C. M., ... Katz, J. E. (2008). Chapter 1 An Introduction to the Basic Principles and Concepts of Mass Spectrometry.
- Patrick, J. W., & Laganowsky, A. (2019). Probing Heterogeneous Lipid Interactions with Membrane Proteins Using Mass Spectrometry. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). Methods in Molecular Biology. (pp. 175-190). Springer New York.