My research topics include engineering aspects of foods and food processes; fundamental modeling: dehydration, frying, extrusion, food irradiation; process control techniques as applied to food processing systems: food extrusion processes, continuous fryers, and continuous flow grains dyers; deep-fat frying: modeling, oil absorption mechanisms, vacuum frying, acrylamide; impingement drying; food safety: food irradiation and biosensor technology.
- Ph.D. in Bio-systems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University - (East Lansing, Michigan, United States) 1989
- M.S. in Bio-systems and Agricultural Engineering, Michigan State University - (East Lansing, Michigan, United States) 1983
- B.S. in Agricultural Engineering, State University of Campinas - (Campinas, Brazil) 1980
- Moreira, R. G., Da Silva, P. F., & Zheng, T. (2020). Calcium chloride impregnation of potato slices using ultrasound to reduce oil absorption during frying. Journal of Food Process Engineering.
- Mohammad, Z. H., Murano, E. A., Moreira, R. G., & Castillo, A. (2019). Effect of air- and vacuum-packaged atmospheres on the reduction of Salmonella on almonds by electron beam irradiation. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 116, 108389-108389.
- Lopez, S. V., & Moreira, R. G. (2019). Increased Phenolic Compounds in Potato Chips Vacuum Impregnated with Green Tea. Journal of Food Science. 84(4), 807-817.
- Tong, H., Moreira, R. G., & Castell‐Perez, M. E. (2018). Effect of vacuum impregnation on quality of fresh and electron‐beam irradiated highbush blueberries (Vaccinium corymbosum L.) under refrigerated storage. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation. 42(9), e13680-e13680.
- Moreira, R. G., & Almohaimeed, S. (2018). Technology for processing of potato chips impregnated with red rootbeet phenolic compounds. Journal of Food Engineering. 228, 57-68.
- Kim, J., Moreira, R. G., & Castell-Perez, M. E. (2017). Chapter 6 Food Phantoms and Absorbed Dose Simulation. Food Irradiation Technologies. (pp. 76-104). Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Moreira, R. G. (2012). Vacuum frying of fruits applications in fruit processing. Advances in Fruit Processing Technologies. (pp. 331-344). CRC Press.
- Castell‐Perez, M. E., & Moreira, R. G. (2004). Decontamination Systems. Preharvest and Postharvest Food Safety. (pp. 337-348). Blackwell Publishing.
- Alfi, M., Da Silva, P. F., Barrufet, M. A., & Moreira, R. G. (2012). Electron induced chain reactions of heavy petroleum fluids - Effective parameters. 2, 1230-1239.
- Alfi, M., Da Silva, P. F., Barrufet, M. A., & Moreira, R. G. (2012). Utilization of charged particles as an efficient way to improve rheological properties of heavy asphaltic petroleum fluids. 2, 1379-1387.
- Yang, D., Kim, J., Silva, C. F., Barrufet, M. A., & Moreira, R. (2010). Electron beam (E-Beam) irradiation improves conventional heavy oil upgrading. 2, 1467-1482.
- Yang, D., Kim, J., Silva, P., Barrufet, M. A., Moreira, R., & Sosa, J. M. (2009). Laboratory investigation of E-beam heavy oil upgrading. 2, 616-623.
- Chowdhury, M. H., Anand, A., Henry, J. E., Moreira, R., Good, T. A., & Coté, G. L. (2003). The Use of Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (SERS) in a Competitive Affinity Binding Assay for the Detection of Prions. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 22ND ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE IEEE ENGINEERING IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY SOCIETY, VOLS 1-4. 4, 3049-3051.
- Fellow conferred by Institute of Food Technologists - (Chicago, Illinois, United States) conferred by Institute of Food Technologists 2013
- Dean’s Outstanding Achievement Award for Service conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College of Agriculture and Life Sciences 2013