My research focuses primarily on the vascular complications of diabetes. Using animal models of human diabetes, we have demonstrated that an inability of endothelial cells to produce nitric oxide may be partly responsible for these vascular complications. We are developing a gene/drug therapy approach for treating cardiovascular disease associated with diabetes. Targeted nanoparticles will deliver either the gene for GTPCH or BH4 itself into endothelial cells oxidatively damaged by diabetes to correct endothelial GTPCH deficiency, increase tetrahydrobiopterin levels, restore nitric oxide production and reverse the vascular dysfunction seen in diabetes. Our endothelium-targeting nanoparticle approach will not only reverse the damage caused by disease but will increase antioxidant levels to protect the endothelial cells from future damage and/or dysfunction.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1989
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1987
- B.A. in Cell Biology, University of South Florida - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 1980
- Pal, S., Nath, S., Meininger, C. J., & Gashev, A. A. (2020). Emerging Roles of Mast Cells in the Regulation of Lymphatic Immuno-Physiology. Frontiers in Immunology. 11, 1234.
- Si, H., Wang, J., Meininger, C. J., Peng, X. u., Zawieja, D. C., & Zhang, S. L. (2020). Ca2+ release-activated Ca2+ channels are responsible for histamine-induced Ca2+ entry, permeability increase, and interleukin synthesis in lymphatic endothelial cells. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSIOLOGY-HEART AND CIRCULATORY PHYSIOLOGY. 318(5), h1283-h1295.
- Pal, S., Gasheva, O. Y., Zawieja, D. C., Meininger, C. J., & Gashev, A. A. (2020). Histamine-mediated autocrine signaling in mesenteric perilymphatic mast cells. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 318(3), r590-r604.
- Tekwe, C. D., Yao, K., Lei, J., Li, X., Gupta, A., Luan, Y., ... Wu, G. (2019). Oral administration of α-ketoglutarate enhances nitric oxide synthesis by endothelial cells and whole-body insulin sensitivity in diet-induced obese rats. EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 244(13), 1081-1088.
- Wu, G., Brown, J., Zamora, M. L., Miller, A., Satterfield, M. C., Meininger, C. J., ... Zhang, R. (2019). Adverse organogenesis and predisposed long-term metabolic syndrome from prenatal exposure to fine particulate matter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 116(24), 11590-11595.
- Flynn, N. E., Meininger, C. J., Haynes, T. E., Shi, W., & Wu, G. (2005). Mechanisms for dietary regulation of nitric oxide synthesis in mammals. Nutrients and Cell Signaling. (pp. 225-252).
- Meininger, C. J., & Wu, G. (2002).  Regulation of endothelial cell proliferation by nitric oxide. MACROMOLECULAR CRYSTALLOGRAPHY, PT D. Redox Cell Biology and Genetics Part A. (pp. 280-295). Elsevier.
- Gashev, A. A., Gasheva, O. Y., Zawieja, D. C., Meininger, C. J., & Pal, S. (2020). Histamine‐mediated regulatory loop in mesenteric perilymphatic mast cells. FASEB J. 34(S1), 1-1.
- Pal, S., Meininger, C. J., Gasheva, O., Griffith, W., Zawieja, D. C., & Gashev, A. A. (2018). Aging-associated alterations in lymphatic vessels and mast cells in perilymphatic tissues. Journal of Immunology. 200(1),
- Guoyao, W. u., Bazer, F. W., & Meininger, C. J. (2017). THE ROLE OF LEUCINE IN OBESITY-INDUCED METABOLIC DISORDERS. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism. 71, 154-154.
- Francis, H. L., Onori, P., Mancinelli, R., Franchitto, A., Meng, F., Venter, J., ... Alpini, G. (2011). H1 histamine receptors accelerate the regrowth of the biliary tree after 70% hepatectomy. FASEB J. 25,
- Dokken, B. B., Piermarini, C. V., Teachey, M. K., Gura, M., Dameff, C. J., Hilwig, R., Meininger, C. J., & Kern, K. (2010). Glucagon-like Peptide-1 Enhances Nitric Oxide Production by Coronary Endothelial Cells and improves Endothelium-dependent Coronary Microvascular Function after Cardiac Arrest and Resuscitation. FREE RADICAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 49, s20-S20.