My research focuses on precision mechatronics; nanoscale engineering and technology; network-based control and cyber-physical systems; novel actuators and sensors; and real-time control systems design.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1997
- M.S. in Control Engineering, Seoul National University - (Seoul, South Korea) 1991
- B.S. in Control Engineering, Seoul National University - (Seoul, South Korea) 1989
- Cortes, I., & Kim, W. (2018). Lateral Position Error Reduction Using Misalignment-Sensing Coils in Inductive Power Transfer Systems. IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS. 23(2), 875-882.
- Nguyen, V. H., & Kim, W. (2017). Two-Phase Lorentz Coils and Linear Halbach Array for Multiaxis Precision-Positioning Stages With Magnetic Levitation. IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS. 22(6), 2662-2672.
- Kwon, Y., & Kim, W. (2017). Electromagnetic Analysis and Steady-State Performance of Double-Sided Flat Linear Motor Using Soft Magnetic Composite. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 64(3), 2178-2187.
- Chang, Y., & Kim, W. (2017). An electrical model with equivalent elements in a time-variant environment for an ionic-polymer-metal-composite system. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CONTROL AUTOMATION AND SYSTEMS. 15(1), 45-53.
- Kwon, Y., & Kim, W. (2016). Steady-State Modeling and Analysis of a Double-Sided Interior Permanent-Magnet Flat Linear Brushless Motor With Slot-Phase Shift and Alternate Teeth Windings. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 52(11), 1-11.
- Cortes, I., & Kim, W. (2018). Autonomous Positioning of a Mobile Robot for Wireless Charging Using Computer Vision and Misalignment-Sensing Coils. 2014 American Control Conference. 00, 4324-4329.
- Cortes, I., & Kim, W. (2017). Using Sensing Coils to Detect and Correct Lateral Misalignments in an Inductive Power-Transfer Wireless Charging System. 2, v002t18a001-v002t18a001.
- Chen, J., & Kim, W. (2016). Development of a Mobile Robot Providing a Natural Way to Interact With Electronic Devices. 1, v001t03a003-v001t03a003.
- Algethami, A. A., & Kim, W. (2016). Energy Harvesting and Damping Capability of Quarter-Car Test Bed. 1, v001t13a002-v001t13a002.
- Nguyen, V. H., & Kim, W. (2016). Parameter Identification for Nanopositioning of a 6-Axis Maglev Stage with Moving Lorentz Coils. 2016-September, 657-662.
awards and honors
- Best Presentation Award from American Control Conference conferred by American Automatic Control Council - (Seattle, Washington, United States) - This award was rewarded 2003 and 2007. 2009
chaired theses and dissertations
- Fu, Jianxi (2018-08). A Non-intrusive Method for Mechanical Measurements in Constant Frequency Electric Motors. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Stricklin, Bradford William (2017-12). DESIGN AND CONTROL OF A HIGH-PRECISION PERMANENT-MAGNET AC MOTOR USING A HALBACH MAGNET ARRAY. (Master's Thesis)
- Algethami, Abdullah Ayedh B (2017-12). Regenerative Suspension System Modeling and Control. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Nelson, Andrew Christian (2017-08). Precision Position Control Using an RGB Sensor and Linearized Output Variable-Intensity Color Array. (Master's Thesis)
- Cortes, Ivan (2017-08). Automatic Positioning System for Inductive Wireless Charging Devices and Application to Mobile Robot. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Mechanical Engineering; 3123 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3123