- Professor and Associate Department Head, Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Platelet pathophysiology and the interaction of platelets with infectious agents, with an emphasis on the thrombocytopenia associated with Equine Infectious Anemia Virus. Investigation of platelet activation markers in veterinary species. Investigation of total and free (ionized) magnesium concentrations in veterinary species.
- Ph.D. in Veterinary Medical Sciences, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States) 1996
- D.V.M. in Veterinary Medicine, Virginia–Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1990
- B.S. in Animal Science, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1981
- Hasiuk, M. H., Russell, K. E., & Jeffery, U. (2020). Comparison of the prothrombin time‐derived and Clauss assays for the measurement of plasma fibrinogen in hospitalized dogs. Veterinary Clinical Pathology. 49(3), 394-400.
- Azevedo, C. N., Sterman, A. A., Stranahan, L. W., Taylor, B. M., Wiener, D. J., Davidson, J. R., & Russell, K. E. (2020). Pathologic and flow cytometric features of a case of canine ventral cervical lymphangiosarcoma. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation. 32(3), 476-480.
- Ratliff, C., Kingsley, L., Kusmierczyk, J., Gentry, J., Russell, K. E., & Heatley, J. J. (2019). HEMATOLOGIC AND BIOCHEMICAL VALUES OF THE JUVENILE EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL (SCIURUS CAROLINENSIS). JOURNAL OF ZOO AND WILDLIFE MEDICINE. 50(3), 644-649.
- Yaw, T. J., Gentry, J., Ratliff, C., Acierno, M., Schmalz, S., Russell, K. E., & Heatley, J. J. (2019). Venous Blood Analytes and Osmolality of Rehabilitated Juvenile Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (Dendrocygna autumnalis). JOURNAL OF AVIAN MEDICINE AND SURGERY. 33(2), 123-132.
- Hernandez, A. M., Bilbrough, G., DeNicola, D. B., Myrick, C., Edwards, S., Hammond, J. M., ... Nabity, M. B. (2018). Comparison of the performance of the IDEXX SediVue Dx® with manual microscopy for the detection of cells and 2 crystal types in canine and feline urine. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 33(1), 167-177.
- Spangler, E. A., & Russell, K. E. (2006). Retrospective evaluation of D-dimer as an indicator of coagulation status in 323 dogs admitted to a veterinary teaching hospital.. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 20(3), 715-715.
- Falcon, M. D., Phalen, D. N., Russell, K. E., & Olsen, G. (2003). Causes, diagnosis, and treatment of iron storage disease. 169-172.