Dr. Rodney Bowersox is the Department Head and Ford I Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Texas A&M University, College Station TX. He is the founder and director of the Texas A&M University National Aerothermochemistry and Hypersonics Laboratory. His research focus is on theoretical and experimental hypersonic viscous flows (turbulent and transitional), non-equilibrium gas dynamics, turbulence modeling, laser diagnostics, high-speed aerodynamics, sonic boom, and scramjet flows. He also develops state-of-the-art research facilities; for example, he designed two facilities for the AFRL air vehicle and directed energy directorates. He has received research sponsorship from the AFOSR, AFRL, ARO, DoD, NASA, NSF, ONR, and private industry. Dr. Bowersox is a DoD Vannevar Bush Faculty Fellow, a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Society, the Optical Society of America, and the International Society of Airbreathing Propulsion. He is an Associate Editor of the AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power.
- Ph.D. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1992
- M.S. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1990
- B.S. in , Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1988
- Winner, J. D., Pan, F., McIlvoy, M. H., Bowersox, R., & North, S. W. (2019). Temperature perturbation related to the invisible ink vibrationally excited nitric oxide monitoring (VENOM) technique: a simulation study. Appl Opt. 58(10), 2702-2712.
- Paul, A. K., West, N. A., Winner, J. D., Bowersox, R., North, S. W., & Hase, W. L. (2018). Non-statistical intermolecular energy transfer from vibrationally excited benzene in a mixed nitrogen-benzene bath. The Journal of Chemical Physics. 149(13), 134101-134101.
- Winner, J. D., West, N. A., McIlvoy, M. H., Buen, Z. D., Bowersox, R., & North, S. W. (2018). The role of near resonance electronic energy transfer on the collisional quenching of NO (A(2)Sigma(+)) by C6H6 and C6F6 at low temperature. CHEMICAL PHYSICS. 501, 86-92.
- Leidy, A. N., Reshotko, E., Siddiqui, F., & Bowersox, R. (2018). Transition due to roughness on blunt capsule: Comparison with transient growth correlation. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 55(1), 167-180.
- Semper, M. T., & Bowersox, R. (2017). Tripping of a hypersonic low-reynolds-number boundary layer. 41st Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference and Exhibit. 55(3), 808-817.
- Radespiel, R., Ali, S., MuÃ±oz, F., Bowersox, R., Leidy, A., Tanno, H., Kirk, L. C., & Reshotko, E. (2019). Experimental investigation of roughness effects on transition on blunt spherical capsule shapes. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 56(2), 405-420.
- Kostak, H. E., Bowersox, R., McKiernan, G. R., Thome, J., Candler, G. V., & King, R. A. (2019). Freestream disturbance effects on boundary layer instability and transition on the afosr bolt geometry.
- Neel, I. T., Leidy, A. N., Tichenor, N. R., & Bowersox, R. (2018). Characterization of environmental disturbances on hypersonic crossflow instability on the HIFiRE-5 elliptic cone.
- Leidy, A. N., Neel, I. T., Tichenor, N. R., Bowersox, R., & Schmisseur, J. D. (2018). Cylinder-induced hypersonic transitional shock wave boundary layer interactions: Pressure fluctuations and thermal loading.
- Radespiel, R., Ali, S., Bowersox, R., Leidy, A., Tanno, H., Kirk, L. C., & Reshotko, E. (2018). Experimental investigation of roughness effects on transition on blunt spherical capsule shapes. (210059),
- Marcotte, Evan Kelly (2016-12). The Design and Development of a High Enthalpy, Hypervelocity Expansion Facility. (Master's Thesis)
- Mai, Chi Luong Nhat (2014-05). Near-Region Modification of Total Pressure Fluctuations by a Normal Shock Wave in a Low-Density Hypersonic Wind Tunnel. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Peltier, Scott Jacob (2013-08). Behavior of Turbulent Structures within a Mach 5 Mechanically Distorted Boundary Layer. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Semper, Michael Thomas (2013-08). Examining A Hypersonic Turbulent Boundary Layer at Low Reynolds Number. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- English, Benjamin L. (2013-05). Large-Scale Streamwise Turbulent Structures in Hypersonic Boundary Layers. (Master's Thesis)