History of visual neuroscience & optics; neuroscience and art; history of anatomical illustrations;
Cross cultural transmission of scientific ideas with specific emphasis on the Greek & Arabic sources of the Renaissance and the 17th century; Impact of forced migration in the 20th c.
History of medicine, medical ethics and bioethics (eugenics).
- University College London - (London, United Kingdom), Postdoctoral Training 1989
- University of London - (London, United Kingdom), Postdoctoral Training 1965
- Ph.D. in Comparative Studies, Indiana University Bloomington - (Bloomington, Indiana, United States) 1962
- B.A. in English and Art History, Lindenwood University - (Saint Charles, Missouri, United States) 1958
- Russell, G. A. (2020). The phrenological illustrations of George Cruickshank (1792–1878): A satire on phrenology or human nature?. JOURNAL OF THE HISTORY OF THE NEUROSCIENCES. 29(1), 1-31.
- Gamble, N., Holler, B., Thomson, S., Murata, S., Stahnisch, F. W., & Russell, G. (2019). Is the Writing on the Wall for Current Medical Oaths? A Brief Historical Review of Oath Taking at Medical Schools. Medical Science Educator. 29(2), 603-607.
- Russell, G. (2016). A variation on forced migration: Wilhelm Peters (Prussia via Britain to Turkey) and Muzafer Sherif (Turkey to the United States). JOURNAL OF THE HISTORY OF THE NEUROSCIENCES. 25(3), 320-347.
- Stahnisch, F. W., & Russell, G. (2016). New perspectives on forced migration in the history of twentieth-century neuroscience. JOURNAL OF THE HISTORY OF THE NEUROSCIENCES. 25(3), 219-226.
- Huddleston, S., & Russell, G. A. (2015). Richard Dadd: The Patient, the Artist, and the “Face of Madness”. JOURNAL OF THE HISTORY OF THE NEUROSCIENCES. 24(3), 213-228.
- Russell, G. A. (2017). A Variation on Forced Migration: Wilhelm Peters (Prussia via Britain to Turkey) and Muzafer Sherif (Turkey to the United States). Stahnisch, F. W., & Russell, G. A. (Eds.), Forced Migration in the History of 20th Century Neuroscience and Psychiatry New Perspectives. (pp. 95-122). Routledge.
- Russell, G. A. (2009). Chapter 6 After Galen late Antiquity and the Islamic world. History of Neurology. (pp. 61-77). Elsevier.
- Russell, G. A. (2019). \"Judging Colors by the Company They Keep\": Ibn al-Haytham, Newton, Chevreul, Young, and Maxwell on Experiments on Color. PERCEPTION. 48, 58-58.
- Russell, G. A., Russell, M. I., & Steele-Russell, I. I. (2019). An Early Experimental Investigation of Central and Peripheral Vision by Ibn al-Haytham (Alhazen). PERCEPTION. 48, 196-196.