Dr. Boutton is interested in the ecology of grassland and savanna ecosystems, particularly the impacts of land cover/land use changes on ecosystem processes (productivity, decomposition, biogeochemistry, hydrology). At present, most of his work is oriented towards understanding the influence of woody plant invasion into grasslands and savannas on biogeochemistry and soil biology. He is also interested in understanding ecosystem responses to global changes predicted for the future. The effects of climate, land use, and atmospheric composition on ecosystem structure and function are being investigated at time scales ranging from a few years (contemporary ecosystems) to thousands of years (paleo ecosystems), and spatial scales ranging from the soil aggregate to the landscape. Dr. Boutton also serves as Director of the Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry Laboratory, and teaches two graduate level courses (ESSM 600 - Principles of Ecosystem Science and Management, and ESSM 622 - Biogeochemistry of Terrestrial Ecosystems).
- Ph.D. in Botany, Brigham Young University - (Provo, Utah, United States) 1979
- M.S. in Biology, University of Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1976
- B.A. in Biology, Saint Louis University - (St Louis, Missouri, United States) 1973
- Hines, S. L., Fulbright, T. E., Santos, A. O., Wester, D. B., Hewitt, D. G., Boutton, T. W., & Campbell, T. (2022). Quantifying herbivory in heterogenous environments: Methodological considerations for more accurate metrics. JOURNAL OF ARID ENVIRONMENTS. 199, 104698-104698.
- Bekewe, P. E., Foster, J. L., Neely, C. B., Neely, H. L., Lewis, K. L., Tomlin, L. E., ... Gerrish, B. (2022). Cropping system diversity and tillage intensity affects wheat productivity in Texas. AGRONOMY JOURNAL. (6), 3498-3514.
- Ansley, R. J., Boutton, T. W., & Hollister, E. B. (2021). Can prescribed fires restore C 4 grasslands invaded by a C 3 woody species and a co‐dominant C 3 grass species?. ECOSPHERE. 12(12),
- Kjeldgaard, M. K., Eyer, P., McMichael, C. C., Bockoven, A. A., King, J. T., Hyodo, A., ... Eubanks, M. D. (2021). Distinct colony boundaries and larval discrimination in polygyne red imported fire ants (Solenopsis invicta). Molecular Ecology. 31(3), 1007-1020.
- McDonald, M. D., Lewis, K. L., DeLaune, P. B., Boutton, T. W., Reed, J. D., & Gentry, T. J. (2021). Nitrous Oxide Consumption Potential in a Semi-Arid Agricultural System: Effects of Conservation Soil Management and Nitrogen Timing on nosZ Mediated N2O Consumption. FRONTIERS IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE. 9, 702806.
- Boutton, T. W., Liao, J. D., Filley, T. R., & Archer, S. R. (2009). Belowground Carbon Storage and Dynamics Accompanying Woody Plant Encroachment in a Subtropical Savanna. PEDOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVES IN ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESEARCH. Soil Carbon Sequestration and the Greenhouse Effect. 181-205. Wiley.
- Archer, S., Boutton, T. W., & Hibbard, K. A. (2001). 1.9 Trees in Grasslands Biogeochemical Consequences of Woody Plant Expansion. Global Biogeochemical Cycles in the Climate System. 115-137. Elsevier.
- Wolf, D. C., Legg, J. O., & Boutton, T. W. (1994). Isotopic Methods for the Study of Soil Organic Matter Dynamics. Methods of Soil Analysis. 865-906. Wiley.
- Elsik, C. G., Flagler, R. B., & Boutton, T. W. (1993). 16 Carbon Isotope Composition and Gas Exchange of Loblolly and Shortleaf Pine as Affected by Ozone and Water Stress. Stable Isotopes and Plant Carbon-water Relations. 227-244. Elsevier.
- Fu, Q. A., Boutton, T. W., Ehleringer, J. R., & Flagler, R. B. (1993). 20 Environmental and Developmental Effects on Carbon Isotope Discrimination by Two Species of Phaseolus. Stable Isotopes and Plant Carbon-water Relations. 297-309. Elsevier.
- Karim, A., Ahmed, I., Boutton, T. W., Strom, K. B., & Fox, J. F. (2015). Quantification of Uncertainty in Sediment Provenance Model. WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL AND WATER RESOURCES CONGRESS 2015: FLOODS, DROUGHTS, AND ECOSYSTEMS, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2015. 1790-1799.
- Filley, T. R., Jastrow, J., O'Brien, S., & Boutton, T. (2007). GEOC 75-Dynamics of lignin and plant aliphatic biopolymers in soil organic matter under elevated atmospheric CO2 in the sweetgum Free Air CO2 Enrichment (FACE) experiment. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 234,
- Ansley, R. J., Boutton, T. W., & Jacoby, P. W. (2007). Mesquite root distribution and water use efficiency in response to long-term soil moisture manipulations. PROCEEDINGS: SHRUBLAND DYNAMICS-FIRE AND WATER. (47), 96-+.
- Beazley, M. J., Rickman, R. D., Ingram, D. K., Boutton, T. W., & Russ, J. (2002). Natural abundances of carbon isotopes (C-14,C-13) in lichens and calcium oxalate pruina: Implications for archaeological and paleoenvironmental studies. RADIOCARBON. 44(3), 675-683.
- Midwood, A. J., Boutton, T. W., Watts, S. E., & Archer, S. R. (1993). Natural abundance of 2H and 18O in rainfall, soil moisture and plants in a subtropical thorn woodland ecosystem: implications for plant water use. International Atomic Energy Agency, Proceedings Series. (329 pt 7), 419-431.
- Researcher Spotlight North American Carbon Program December 30, 2019
- Planting a trillion trees will not halt climate change AgriLife Today October 17, 2019
- Researchers find flaws in high-profile study on trees and climate The Scientist October 17, 2019
- Two Texas A&M ecosystem sciences research graduates earn distinguished student award AgriLife Today May 23, 2018
- Decadal-scale changes in forest soil carbon and nitrogen storage are influenced by organic matter removal during timber harvest Editors’ Highlight, Journal of Geophysical Research April 12, 2017
- Tumushime, Ignacie (2018-05). Effect of Nutrient Availability and Competition Control on Growth and C, N, and P Dynamics in Loblolly Pine and Slash Pine Plantations in North-Central Florida. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhou, Yong (2018-05). Savanna Vegetation Dynamics and Their Influence on Landscape-Scale C, N, and P Biogeochemistry. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mushinski, Ryan Michael (2017-08). Decade-Scale Influences of Organic Matter Removal on Forest Soil Biogeochemistry and Microbial Ecology. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wellman, Rachel L (2014-12). Biogeochemistry of Soil Carbon and Nitrogen in Response to Elevated Temperatures and Altered Rainfall Regimes in Oak Savanna: A Global Change Experiment. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Foote, Julie (2014-05). Biogeochemistry of the Western Gulf Coastal Plain as Impacted by Forest Management. (Doctoral Dissertation)