My research interests are in the remote sensing of clouds and precipitation and their application in studying the hydrologic cycle, energy budget, and climate change. Currently my focus is on combining data from multiple satellite sensors to investigate ITCZ deep convection and the role of shallow cumulus and stratocumulus clouds in the tropics and subtropics.
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University - (Fort Collins, Colorado, United States) 2008
- M.S. in Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University - (Fort Collins, Colorado, United States) 2004
- B.S. in Meteorology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2000
- Chang, K., Bowman, K. P., Siu, L. W., & Rapp, A. D (2021). Convective forcing of the North American Monsoon Anticyclone at intraseasonal and interannual time scales. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences. 78(9), 2941-2956.
- Smalley, K. M., & Rapp, A. D (2021). The impact of rain rate, raining patch size, and spacing on southeastern Pacific cloud fraction transitions. Environmental Research Communications. 3(5), 051001-051001.
- Smalley, K. M., & Rapp, A. D (2021). A-Train estimates of the sensitivity of the cloud-to-rainwater ratio to cloud size, relative humidity, and aerosols. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 21(4), 2765-2779.
- Wodzicki, K. R., & Rapp, A. D (2020). Variations in Precipitating Convective Feature Populations with ITCZ Width in the Pacific Ocean. Journal of Climate. 33(10), 4391-4401.
- Smalley, K. M., & Rapp, A. D (2020). The Role of Cloud Size and Environmental Moisture in Shallow Cumulus Precipitation. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. 59(3), 535-550.
- Rapp, A. D., Doelling, D. R., Khaiyer, M. M., Minnis, P., Smith, W. L., Nguyen, L., AMS, .., & AMS (2002). Analysis of solar absorption derived from ARM surface and satellite measurements. 11TH CONFERENCE ON ATMOSPHERIC RADIATION. 43-46.
- Smith, W. L., Minnis, P., Bernstein, B. C., Rapp, A. D., Heck, P. W., AMS, .., & AMS (2002). Supercooled liquid water cloud properties derived from goes: Comparisons with in-situ aircraft measurements. 10TH CONFERENCE ON AVIATION, RANGE, AND AEROSPACE METEOROLOGY. 89-92.
- Towards understanding variability in precipitation-anvil area relationships awarded by NASA-Washington 2019 - 2022
- In Tropical and Subtropical Regions Dominated by Stratocumulus and Shallow Cumulus, Rainfall is Driven Primarily by the Warm Rain Process. Recent Estimates in these Regimes show Noticeable Differences in both precipitation occurrence and rates between act awarded by National Aeronautics and Space Administration - (Washington D.C., District of Columbia, United States) 2014 - 2017
- Sun, Lu (2019-05). Cloud Impact Parameters Derived from A-Train Satellite, ERA-Interim, MERRA-2 and Their Relationship to the Environment. (Master's Thesis)
- Ren, Tong (2018-12). Aerosol Lightning Enhancement over Northern Alabama: Predictions, Mechanisms, and Simulations. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Howard, Corey Storm (2018-08). How Well Do Era-Interim and Merra-2 Capture ITCZ Characteristics and Precipitation?. (Master's Thesis)
- Marter Jr., Robert Edward (2017-12). Passive Microwave Precipitation Detection Biases: Relationship to Cloud Properties. (Master's Thesis)
- Wodzicki, Kyle Robert (2015-12). A Climatology of Pacific ITCZ Characteristics from an Automated, Objective Algorithm. (Master's Thesis)