- Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES), Division of Research
- Professor and Department Head, Geology and Geophysics, College of Arts and Sciences
My research interests focus on three main topics: 1) Integrating litho-, chemo- and chronostratigraphy in a regional sequence stratigraphic framework to understand high-frequency and long-term climatic and oceanic processes affecting development of sedimentary successions; towards this end I am currently most interested in the transitions that occur between global icehouse and greenhouse conditions and how these affect reservoir characterization. 2) Using detrital zircon geochronology to understand sediment dispersal and large-scale tectonic processes. 3) Determining the structural deformation (twinning, cataclasis, brecciation, etc.) produced in carbonates by meteorite impacts as a means to establish objective criteria for cratering - similar to shocked quartz.
- Ph.D. in Geology, Virginia State University - (Petersburg, Virginia, United States) 1995
- M.S. in Geology, University of Montana - (Missoula, Montana, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Earth and Space Sciences, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1985
- Laya, J. C., Albader, A., Kaczmarek, S., Pope, M., Harris, P. M., & Miller, B. (2021). Dissolution of ooids in seawater-derived fluids - an example from Lower Permian re-sedimented carbonates, West Texas, USA. SEDIMENTOLOGY. 68(6), 2671-2706.
- Moustafa, M., Pope, M. C., & Mriheel, I. Y. (2019). High resolution sequence stratigraphy of the MiddleLate Triassic Al Aziziyah formation, northwest Libya. Journal of African Earth Sciences. 155, 75-89.
- Tesch, P., Reece, R. S., Pope, M. C., & Markello, J. R. (2018). Quantification of architectural variability and controls in an Upper Oligocene to Lower Miocene carbonate ramp, Browse Basin, Australia. MARINE AND PETROLEUM GEOLOGY. 91, 432-454.
- Tice, M. M., Quezergue, K., & Pope, M. C. (2017). Microbialite Biosignature Analysis by Mesoscale X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) Mapping.. Astrobiology. 17(11), 1161-1172.
- Moustafa, M., Pope, M. C., Grossman, E. L., & Mriheel, I. Y. (2016). Carbon and oxygen isotope variations of the Middle-Late Triassic Al Aziziyah Formation, northwest Libya. JOURNAL OF AFRICAN EARTH SCIENCES. 118, 149-162.
- Weber*, J. C., Elmore, R. D., Hamilton, C., Alder, A., Koeberl, C., & Pope, M. (2018). On the backs of giants: Geology of the Kentland impact structure, Newton County (Kentland) Quarry, Indiana (USA)Building on Ray Gutschicks legacy. Geological Society of America.
- Donovan, A. D., Staerker, T. S., Gardner, R., Pope, M. C., Pramudito, A., & Wehner, M. (2016). Findings from the Eagle Ford Outcrops of West Texas and Implications to the Subsurface of South Texas. Breyer, J. A. (Eds.), The Eagle Ford Shale. 301-336. American Association of Petroleum Geologists AAPG/Datapages.
- Pope, M. C., Hollingsworth, J. S., & Dilliard, K. (2012). Overview of Lower Cambrian Mixed Carbonate-siliciclastic Deposition along the Western Laurentian Passive Margin. Derby, J., Fritz, R., Longacre, S., Morgan, W., & Sterbach, C. (Eds.), Great American Carbonate Bank<subtitle>The Geology and Economic Resources of the CambrianOrdovician Sauk Megasequence of Laurentia</subtitle>. 735-750. American Association of Petroleum Geologists AAPG/Datapages.
- Bush, J. H., Thomas, R. C., & Pope, M. C. (2012). Sauk Megasequence Deposition in Northeastern Washington, Northern Idaho, and Western Montana. Derby, J., Fritz, R., Longacre, S., Morgan, W., & Sternbach, C. (Eds.), Great American Carbonate Bank<subtitle>The Geology and Economic Resources of the CambrianOrdovician Sauk Megasequence of Laurentia</subtitle>. 751-768. American Association of Petroleum Geologists AAPG/Datapages.
- BATT, L. S., POPE, M. C., ISAACSON, P. E., MONTAEZ, I., & ABPLANALP, J. (2011). Upper Mississippian Antler Foreland Basin Carbonate and Siliciclastic Rocks, East-Central Idaho and Southwestern Montana, U.S.A.: Distinguishing Tectonic and Eustatic Controls on Deposition. Lukasik, J., & Simo, J. A. (Eds.), Controls on Carbonate Platform and Reef Development. 147-170. SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology).
- Pope, M. C., Holland, S. M., & Patzkowsky, M. E (2009). The Cincinnati Arch: A Stationary Peripheral Bulge during the Late Ordovician. Perspectives in Carbonate Geology. 255-275. Wiley.
- Pope, M., Wehner, M., Peavey, E., Conte, R., & Donovan, A. (2017). Surface to Subsurface Correlation of Eagle Ford Equivalent Strata From West to South Texas. Proceedings of the 5th Unconventional Resources Technology Conference, Proceedings of the 5th Unconventional Resources Technology Conference.
- Rezende, M. F., & Pope, M. C. (2015). Importance of depositional texture in pore characterization of subsalt microbialite carbonates, offshore Brazil. MICROBIAL CARBONATES IN SPACE AND TIME: IMPLICATIONS FOR GLOBAL EXPLORATION AND PRODUCTION. 418(1), 193-207.
- Saneifar, M., Conte, R., Chen, C., Heidari, Z., & Pope, M. C (2014). Integrated rock classification in carbonate formations based on elastic and petrophysical properties estimated from conventional well logs. SPWLA 55th Annual Logging Symposium 2014.
- Donovan, A. D., Scott Staerker, T., Pramudito, A., Gardner, R., Pope, M. C., Corbett, M., Lowery, C., & Romero, A. M. (2013). A 3-D outcrop perspective of an unconventional carbonate mudstone reservoir. Unconventional Resources Technology Conference 2013, URTC 2013.
- Pope, M. C. (2004). Cherty carbonate facies of the Montoya Group, southern New Mexico and western Texas and its regional correlatives: a record of Late Ordovician paleoceanography on southern Laurentia. Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology. 210(2-4), 367-384.
- GEOL102 Principles Of Geology Lab Instructor
- GEOL250 Geological Field Methods Instructor
- GEOL300 Field Geology: In-absentia Instructor
- GEOL306 Sed & Stratigraphy Instructor
- GEOL306 Sedimentology & Stratigraphy Instructor
- Moore, Bronwyn Tays (2016-08). A Stratigraphic and Geochemical Analysis of the Ojinaga Formation, West Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Deluca, Michael James (2016-08). Ash Bed Analysis of the Cretaceous Eagle Ford Shale Using ID-TIMS U/Pb Methods: Implications for Biostratigraphic Refinement and Correlations Within the Western Interior Seaway. (Master's Thesis)
- Vallabhaneni, Sridharan (2016-05). Facies and Stratigraphic Interpretation of the Upper Cretaceous Woodbine-Eagle Ford Interval in Leon, Madison, Grimes and Brazos Counties, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Lewis, David John (2015-12). Detrital Zircon Trace Element Characterization of Middle to Late Ordovician Quartz Arenites along the Transcontinental Arch. (Master's Thesis)
- Lira, Mario Alberto (2015-08). Detrital Zircon Geochronology and Sequence Stratigraphy of the Eureka Quartzite Formation Adjacent to the Tooele Arch, Western Utah and Eastern Nevada. (Master's Thesis)