My research interests focus on three main topics: 1) Integrating litho-, chemo- and chronostratigraphy in a regional sequence stratigraphic framework to understand high-frequency and long-term climatic and oceanic processes affecting development of sedimentary successions; towards this end I am currently most interested in the transitions that occur between global icehouse and greenhouse conditions and how these affect reservoir characterization. 2) Using detrital zircon geochronology to understand sediment dispersal and large-scale tectonic processes. 3) Determining the structural deformation (twinning, cataclasis, brecciation, etc.) produced in carbonates by meteorite impacts as a means to establish objective criteria for cratering - similar to shocked quartz.
- Ph.D. in Geology, Virginia State University - (Petersburg, Virginia, United States) 1995
- M.S. in Geology, University of Montana - (Missoula, Montana, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Earth and Space Sciences, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1985
- Moustafa, M., Pope, M. C., & Mriheel, I. Y. (2019). High resolution sequence stratigraphy of the Middle–Late Triassic Al Aziziyah formation, northwest Libya. JOURNAL OF AFRICAN EARTH SCIENCES. 155, 75-89.
- Tesch, P., Reece, R. S., Pope, M. C., & Markello, J. R. (2018). Quantification of architectural variability and controls in an Upper Oligocene to Lower Miocene carbonate ramp, Browse Basin, Australia. MARINE AND PETROLEUM GEOLOGY. 91, 432-454.
- Tice, M. M., Quezergue, K., & Pope, M. C. (2017). Microbialite Biosignature Analysis by Mesoscale X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) Mapping. Astrobiology. 17(11), 1161-1172.
- Moustafa, M., Pope, M. C., Grossman, E. L., & Mriheel, I. Y. (2016). Carbon and oxygen isotope variations of the Middle-Late Triassic Al Aziziyah Formation, northwest Libya. JOURNAL OF AFRICAN EARTH SCIENCES. 118, 149-162.
- Wahl, P. J., Yancey, T. E., Pope, M. C., Miller, B. V., & Ayers, W. B. (2016). U-Pb detrital zircon geochronology of the Upper Paleocene to Lower Eocene Wilcox Group, east-central Texas. GEOSPHERE. 12(5), 1517-1531.
- Weber, J. C., Douglas Elmore, R., Hamilton, C., Alder, A., Koeberl, C., & Pope, M. (2018). On the backs of giants: Geology of the Kentland impact structure, Newton County (Kentland) Quarry, Indiana (USA)-building on ray gutschick's legacy. Geological Society of America.
- Donovan, A. D., Staerker, T. S., Gardner, R., Pope, M. C., Pramudito, A., & Wehner, M. (2016). Findings from the eagle ford outcrops of West Texas and implications to the subsurface of South Texas. RESERVOIR CHARACTERIZATION - RECENT ADVANCES. Breyer, J. A. (Eds.), AAPG Memoir. (pp. 301-336). American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- Pope, M. C., Hollingsworth, J. S., & Dilliard, K. (2012). Overview of Lower Cambrian mixed carbonate-siliciclastic deposition along the western Laurentian passive margin. RESERVOIR CHARACTERIZATION - RECENT ADVANCES. Derby, J., Fritz, R., Longacre, S., Morgan, W., & Sterbach, C. (Eds.), AAPG Memoir. (pp. 735-750). AAPG.
- Bush, J. H., Thomas, R. C., & Pope, M. C. (2012). Sauk megasequence deposition in northeastern Washington, northern Idaho, and western Montana. RESERVOIR CHARACTERIZATION - RECENT ADVANCES. Derby, J., Fritz, R., Longacre, S., Morgan, W., & Sternbach, C. (Eds.), AAPG Memoir. (pp. 751-768). AAPG.
- BATT, L., POPE, M., ISAACSON, P., MONTAÑEZ, I., & ABPLANALP, J. (2011). Upper Mississippian Antler Foreland Basin Carbonate and Siliciclastic Rocks, East-Central Idaho and Southwestern Montana, U.S.A.: Distinguishing Tectonic and Eustatic Controls on Deposition. Lukasik, J., & Simo, J. A. (Eds.), Controls on Carbonate Platform and Reef Development. (pp. 147-170). SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology).
- Pope, M. C., Holland, S. M., & Patzkowsky, M. E. (2009). The Cincinnati Arch: A Stationary Peripheral Bulge during the Late Ordovician. Perspectives in Carbonate Geology. (pp. 255-275). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Pope, M., Wehner, M., Peavey, E., Conte, R., Tice, M., & Donovan, A. (2017). Surface to subsurface correlation of Eagle Ford equivalent strata from west to south Texas.
- Rezende, M. F., & Pope, M. C. (2015). Importance of depositional texture in pore characterization of subsalt microbialite carbonates, offshore Brazil. EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY OF THE BIVALVIA. 418(1), 193-207.
- Saneifar, M., Conte, R., Chen, C., Heidari, Z., & Pope, M. C. (2014). Integrated rock classification in carbonate formations based on elastic and petrophysical properties estimated from conventional well logs.
- Donovan, A. D., Scott Staerker, T., Pramudito, A., Gardner, R., Pope, M. C., Corbett, M., Lowery, C., & Romero, A. M. (2013). A 3-D outcrop perspective of an unconventional carbonate mudstone reservoir.
- Pope, M. C. (2004). Cherty carbonate facies of the Montoya Group, southern New Mexico and western Texas and its regional correlatives: A record of Late Ordovician paleoceanography on southern Laurentia. PALAEOGEOGRAPHY PALAEOCLIMATOLOGY PALAEOECOLOGY. 210(2-4), 367-384.
- Moore, Bronwyn Tays (2016-08). A Stratigraphic and Geochemical Analysis of the Ojinaga Formation, West Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Deluca, Michael James (2016-08). Ash Bed Analysis of the Cretaceous Eagle Ford Shale Using ID-TIMS U/Pb Methods: Implications for Biostratigraphic Refinement and Correlations Within the Western Interior Seaway. (Master's Thesis)
- Vallabhaneni, Sridharan (2016-05). Facies and Stratigraphic Interpretation of the Upper Cretaceous Woodbine-Eagle Ford Interval in Leon, Madison, Grimes and Brazos Counties, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Lewis, David John (2015-12). Detrital Zircon Trace Element Characterization of Middle to Late Ordovician Quartz Arenites along the Transcontinental Arch. (Master's Thesis)
- Lira, Mario Alberto (2015-08). Detrital Zircon Geochronology and Sequence Stratigraphy of the Eureka Quartzite Formation Adjacent to the Tooele Arch, Western Utah and Eastern Nevada. (Master's Thesis)