As a member of the First Year Program faculty I teach general chemistry to science and engineering students. My courses emphasize the relevance of chemistry by highlighting current chemical research. I also place a heavy focus on learning the problem solving skills that are required of all scientists. In addition to teaching in the classroom I have developed the second semester general chemistry laboratory curriculum that focuses on the chemistry of the Texas Environment. My research interests are related to solid state chemistry. In the past I have studied materials with interesting magnetic, electronic and optical properties. I hope to be involved in incorporating more solid state chemistry and materials science into the undergraduate chemistry curriculum.
- Mao, J. G., Goodey, J., & Guloy, A. M. (2004). Synthesis and structure of Ca18Li5In25.07: A novel intergrowth of Li-centered In-12 icosahedral clusters and electron-precise Zintl layers. Inorganic Chemistry®. 43(1), 282-289.
- Mao, J. G., Goodey, J., & Guloy, A. M. (2002). SrInGe and EuInGe: New Zintl phases with an unusual anionic network derived from the ThSi2 structure. Inorganic Chemistry®. 41(4), 931-937.
- Halasyamani, P. S., Goodey, J., Ok, K. M., Porter, Y., & Broussard, J. (2002). Structure-property relationships in new second-harmonic generating (SHG) oxides.. ACS Photonics. 224, U684-U684.
- Goodey, J., Broussard, J., & Halasyamani, P. S. (2002). Synthesis, structure, and characterization of a new second-harmonic-generating tellurite: Na2TeW2O9. Chemistry of Materials. 14(7), 3174-3180.
- Goodey, J., Mao, J. G., & Guloy, A. M. (2000). Ba2NiS3: A one-dimensional solid-state metallocene analog. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 122(42), 10478-10479.
- Goodey, J., Ok, K. M., Broussard, J., Hofmann, C., Escobedo, F. V., & Halasyamani, P. S. (2003). Syntheses, structures, and second-harmonic generating properties in new quaternary tellurites: A(2)TeW(3)O(12) (A = K, Rb, or Cs). Journal of Solid State Chemistry. 175(1), 3-12.
- Halasyamani, P. S., Ok, K. M., & Goodey, J. (2003). Synthesis, characterization, and structure-property relationships of new second-harmonic generating oxides.. ACS Photonics. 226, U717-U717.
- DeFotis, G. C., Goodey, J. R., Narducci, A. A., & Welch, M. H. (1996). NiBr2 center dot 3H(2)O, a lower dimensional antiferromagnet. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS. 79(8), 4718-4720.