My research broadly examines how people understand and communicate about health and illnesses and how such understanding and communication are enabled and constrained by social, political, cultural, and technological factors. My research is informed by the new paradigm of "big data" research, which marries the traditional interpretive and postpositive epistemologies to discover patterns of meanings and relationships in texts, videos, narratives, and social networks (interpretive epistemology) using scientific data processing methods developed in computer science and data science.
- Ph.D. in Communication, University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2007
- M.A. in Communication, University of Southern California - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 2004
- B.A. in English Language and Literature, Peking University - (Beijing, Beijing, China) 2001
- Wu, Q. L., & Tang, L. u. (2021). What Satisfies Parents of Pediatric Patients in China: A Grounded Theory Building Analysis of Online Physician Reviews. Health Commun. 1-8.
- Tang, L. u., York, F. N., & Zou, W. (2021). Middle-Aged and Older African Americans' Information Use During the COVID-19 Pandemic: An Interview Study. Front Public Health. 9, 709416.
- Tang, L. u., Liu, W., Thomas, B., Tran, H., Zou, W., Zhang, X., & Zhi, D. (2021). Texas Public Agencies' Tweets and Public Engagement During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Natural Language Processing Approach.. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance. 7(4), e26720-e26720.
- Tang, X., Zou, W., Hu, Z., & Tang, L. u. (2021). The Recreation of Gender Stereotypes in Male Cross-Dressing Performances on Douyin. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media. 1-19.
- Zou, W., Tang, L. u., & Bie, B. (2021). The stigmatization of suicide: A study of stories told by college students in China.. Death Stud. 1-11.
- Shan, Z., & Tang, L. (2016). Social media and the public sphere in China: A case study of political discussion on weibo after the Wenzhou high-speed rail derailment accident. Handbook of Research on Citizen Engagement and Public Participation in the Era of New Media. 410-425. IGI Global.
- Stuart Baker, J., & Tang, L. u. (2013). Google's Dilemma in China. Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices Case studies in organizational communication: Ethical perspectives and practices. 285-294. Sage Publications, Inc..
- New Texas A&M lab works to eliminate bias in artificial intelligence and machine learning KBTX-TV 3 News July 5, 2021
- Texas A&M communications experts reveals how to talk about COVID vaccines so people will listen Houston Chronicle December 4, 2020
- Social Media And Health Communication Texas A&M Today March 5, 2020
- Can Social Media Inform Public Health Efforts? The Scientist January 6, 2020