I am currently building a research program that uses an integrative, translational approach to understand the mechanisms by which obesity promotes postmenopausal breast cancers. My work focuses on understanding how the obese microenvironment, when combined with the metabolic and hormonal changes associated with menopause, promote tumor development, survival, and growth. In parallel, I am investigating the role of adipose tissue inflammation in the development of metabolic disease after menopause. My hope is that the knowledge gained from studying the 'normal' adipose and breast environments during menopause will also help us understand the changes that occur to create a tumor-promoting environment in the breast of obese women during this same window of time.
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus - (Aurora, Colorado, United States), Postdoctoral Training
- Ph.D. in Medical Science, McMaster University - (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) 2007
- B.S. in Biomedical Science, University of Guelph - (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) 2000
- Sherk, V. D., Jackman, M. R., Higgins, J. A., Giles, E. D., Foright, R. M., Presby, D. M., ... Maclean, P. S. (2019). Impact of Exercise and Activity on Weight Regain and Musculoskeletal Health Post-Ovariectomy. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 51(12), 2465-2473.
- Sherk, V. D., Carpenter, R. D., & Giles, E. D. (2019). Ibuprofen before Exercise Does Not Prevent Cortical Bone Adaptations to Training (vol 49, pg 888, 2017). MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 51(11), 2428-2428.
- Presby, D. M., Checkley, L. A., Jackman, M. R., Higgins, J. A., Jones, K. L., Giles, E. D., ... MacLean, P. S. (2019). Regular exercise potentiates energetically expensive hepatic de novo lipogenesis during early weight regain. AJP Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. 317(5), R684-R695.
- Giles, E. D., Brown, I. L., MacLean, P. S., Pan, Z., Melanson, E. L., Heard, K. J., ... Higgins, J. A. (2019). The In Vivo Net Energy Content of Resistant Starch and Its Effect on Macronutrient Oxidation in Healthy Adults. NUTRIENTS. 11(10), 2484-2484.
- Giles, E. D., Jindal, S., Wellberg, E. A., Schedin, T., Anderson, S. M., Thor, A. D., ... Schedin, P. (2018). Metformin inhibits stromal aromatase expression and tumor progression in a rodent model of postmenopausal breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research. 20(1), 50.
- Sherk, V. D., Carpenter, R. D., Giles, E. D., Oljira, R., Mills, S., Johnson, G. C., Higgins, J. A., & MacLean, P. S. (2016). Ibuprofen Before Exercise Does Not Alter Cortical Bone Adaptations to Treadmill Running in Female Rats. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 48(5), 490-490.
- Presby, D., Houck, J., Giles, E., Steig, A., Jackman, M. R., Foright, R., ... MacLean, P. S. (2016). Effect Of Exercise On Skeletal Muscle Lipogenic Gene Expression During Weight Regain. The FASEB Journal. 30,
- Song, Z., Houck, J. A., Sherk, V., Foright, R., Presby, D., Giles, E., Jackman, M., & MacLean, P. S. (2016). Exercise Counters the Changes in Nutrient Sensing Gene Expression after Caloric Restriction and the Loss of Ovarian Function in Obesity-prone Rats. The FASEB Journal. 30,
- Sherk, V. D., Foright, R., Giles, E. D., Johnson, G. C., Lopez, J. L., Houck, J. A., ... MacLean, P. S. (2015). Initial Disruptions In Energy Balance After The Loss Of Ovarian Function Do Not Depend On Exercise Training Or Obesity Status In Rats.. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 47(5), 860-860.
- MacLean, P. S., Foright, R., Giles, E. D., Johnson, G. C., Lopez, J. L., Houck, J. A., Higgins, J. A., & Jackman, M. R. (2014). Pre-Existing Obesity and Weight Loss Do Not Affect the Decline in Physical Activity That Results from the Loss of Ovarian Function. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 23(10), 864-864.