I am currently building a research program that uses an integrative, translational approach to understand the mechanisms by which obesity promotes postmenopausal breast cancers. My work focuses on understanding how the obese microenvironment, when combined with the metabolic and hormonal changes associated with menopause, promote tumor development, survival, and growth. In parallel, I am investigating the role of adipose tissue inflammation in the development of metabolic disease after menopause. My hope is that the knowledge gained from studying the 'normal' adipose and breast environments during menopause will also help us understand the changes that occur to create a tumor-promoting environment in the breast of obese women during this same window of time.
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus - (Aurora, Colorado, United States), Postdoctoral Training
- Ph.D. in Medical Science, McMaster University - (Hamilton, Ontario, Canada) 2007
- B.S. in Biomedical Science, University of Guelph - (Guelph, Ontario, Canada) 2000
- Foright, R. M., Presby, D. M., Sherk, V. D., Kahn, D., Checkley, L. A., Giles, E. D., ... MacLean, P. S. (2018). Is regular exercise an effective strategy for weight loss maintenance?. PHYSIOLOGY & BEHAVIOR. 188, 86-93.
- Giles, E. D., Jindal, S., Wellberg, E. A., Schedin, T., Anderson, S. M., Thor, A. D., ... Schedin, P. (2018). Metformin inhibits stromal aromatase expression and tumor progression in a rodent model of postmenopausal breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research. 20(1), 50.
- Sherk, V. D., Carpenter, R. D., Giles, E. D., Higgins, J. A., Oljira, R. M., Johnson, G. C., Mills, S., & Maclean, P. S. (2017). Ibuprofen before Exercise Does Not Prevent Cortical Bone Adaptations to Training. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 49(5), 888-895.
- Checkley, L. A., Rudolph, M. C., Wellberg, E. A., Giles, E. D., Wahdan-Alaswad, R. S., Houck, J. A., ... MacLean, P. S. (2017). Metformin accumulation correlates with organic cation transporter 2 protein expression and predicts mammary tumor regression in vivo. CANCER PREVENTION RESEARCH. 10(3), 198-207.
- Sherk, V. D., Jackman, M. R., Giles, E. D., Higgins, J. A., Foright, R. M., Presby, D. M., ... MacLean, P. S. (2017). Prior weight loss exacerbates the biological drive to gain weight after the loss of ovarian function. Physiol Rep. 5(10), e13272-e13272.
- Giles, E., & Singh, G. (2005). Role of TGF-β and IGF in Tumor Progression and Bone Metastases. Singh, G., & Rabbani, S. A. (Eds.), Bone Metastasis: Experimental and Clinical Therapeutics. (pp. 59-74). Humana Press.
- Giles, E. D., Anderson, S. M., Schedin, P. J., Thor, A. D., Johnson, G. C., Hedman, K. J., ... MacLean, P. S. (2010). Mefformin enhances tumor regression and reduces tumor burden in a preclinical paradigm modeling obesity's impact on postmenopausal breast cancer. CANCER RESEARCH. 70(8 Supplement), 72-72.