education and training
- Ph.D. in Economics, University of California Los Angeles - (Los Angeles, California, United States) 1987
- B.S. in Economics, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile - (Santiago, Region Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile) 1979
- Light, A., & Ureta, M. (2004). Living arrangements, employment status, and the economic well-being of mothers: Evidence from Brazil, Chile, and the U.S.. Journal of Family and Economic Issues. 25(3), 301-334.
- Edwards, A. C., & Ureta, M. (2003). International migration, remittances, and schooling: evidence from El Salvador. Journal of Development Economics. 72(2), 429-461.
- Ureta, M. (1998). Incidencia y duración del desempleo en áreas urbanas del Paraguay. Estudios de Economia. 25(1), 51-70.
- Ureta, M., & Welch, F. (1998). Measuring educational attainment: The old and the new census and BLS taxonomies. Economics of Education Review. 17(1), 15-30.
- Ureta, M. (1998). Women, Work and Family: Recent Economic Trends. Northern Illinois University Law Review. 19(1), 57-88.
- Duryea, S., Edwards, A. C., & Ureta, M. (2003). Adolescents and Human Capital Formation. Duryea, S., Edwards, A. C., & Ureta, M. (Eds.), Critical Decisions at a Critical Age Adolescents and Young Adults in Latin America. (pp. 1-22). Inter-American Development Bank.
- Welch, F., & Ureta, M. (2002). The obsolescence of skill. de Grip, A., van Loo, J., & Mayhew, K. (Eds.), The Economics of Skills Obsolescence: Theoretical Innovations and Empirical Applications. (pp. 51-81). JAI Press Inc.
- Duryea, S., Cox Edwards, A., & Ureta, M. (2001). Women in the Latin American Labor Market: The Remarkable 1990's. Piras, C. (Eds.), Women at Work: Challenges for Latin America. (pp. 27-60). Inter-American Development Bank.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- McKinley, Rayna L. (2010-05). A Comparative Study of Sex Salary Differentials for Full-time Workers with a Degree in Science or Engineering. (Master's Thesis)
- Pakdeethai, Pimrak (2009-08). The Effect of Welfare Reform on Childbirth, Marriage, and Divorce. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lin, Peng (2008-12). Health status and the labor force participation decisions of married couples. (Master's Thesis)
- Marchon, Cassia Helena (2008-08). Intergenerational mobility in earnings in Brazil spanning three generations and optimal investment in electricity generation in Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Naufal, Georges Sami (2007-12). Remittances: determinants, motivations and effects. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Economics; 4228 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4228