Neurologist and clinician scientist with a basic, translational and clinical research program, focused mostly on stroke and other brain injuries. The laboratory utilizes a variety of cell free, tissue culture and in-vivo techniques to design and characterize a series of carbon nanomaterials that possess the ability to act as catalytic antioxidants as well as support key mitochondrial functions. This NIH-supported research is in collaboration with synthetic nano-chemists at Rice University (Tour Lab) and biochemists at University of Texas Health Science Center Houston (Tsai Lab). The group is testing a variety of engineered modifications of these versatile, non-toxic materials to address specific cell injury and death mechanisms including ferroptosis and interruption in electron transport and oxidative phosphorylation.
A major interest of ours is the role of diabetes in worsening outcome from stroke, a condition that affects minority and rural Texans disproportionally. With a range of research from molecular interactions to whole animal and clinical studies, the work in this lab is deeply translational, leveraging the group's clinical training and experience to insure that conclusions have direct relevance to the disease state, with the ultimate goal of facilitating the identification of new therapies for these major contributors to disability and mortality.
- Tsivgoulis, G., Katsanos, A. H., Eggers, J., Larrue, V., Thomassen, L., Grotta, J. C., ... Alexandrov, A. V (2021). Sonothrombolysis in Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke With Large Vessel Occlusion: An Individual Patient Data Meta-Analysis. Stroke. 52(12), 3786-3795.
- Tsivgoulis, G., Katsanos, A. H., Mandava, P., Köhrmann, M., Soinne, L., Barreto, A. D., ... CLOTBUST-ER Trial Investigators. (2021). Blood pressure excursions in acute ischemic stroke patients treated with intravenous thrombolysis.. J Hypertens. 39(2), 266-272.
- Zhu, Y., Lin, L., Wei, C., Guo, Y. i., Qin, Y., Li, Z., ... Zhang, H. (2021). The Key Regulator of Necroptosis, RIP1 Kinase, Contributes to the Formation of Astrogliosis and Glial Scar in Ischemic Stroke.. Transl Stroke Res. 12(6), 991-1017.
- Grotta, J. C., Anderson, J. A., Brey, R. L., Kent, T. A., Hurn, P. D., Goldberg, M. P., ... Warach, S. J. (2020). Lone Star Stroke Consortium: A Collaborative State-Funded Model for Research.. Stroke. 51(12), 3778-3786.
- Derry, P. J., Vo, A., Gnanansekaran, A., Mitra, J., Liopo, A. V., Hegde, M. L., ... Kent, T. A (2020). The Chemical Basis of Intracerebral Hemorrhage and Cell Toxicity With Contributions From Eryptosis and Ferroptosis.. Front Cell Neurosci. 14, 603043.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2017). Cerebrovascular Disease. Neurology Secrets. 222-233. Elsevier.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2014). Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack. Cardiology Secrets: Fourth Edition. 433-443. Elsevier.
- Mandava, P., Krumpelman, C. S., Murthy, S. B., & Kent, T. A. (2012). A Critical Review of Stroke Trial Analytical Methodology: Outcome Measures, Study Design, and Correction for Imbalances. Translational Stroke Research. 833-861. Springer New York.
- Martini, S. R., & Kent, T. A. (2010). Stroke and TIA. Cardiology Secrets. 355-362. Elsevier.
- Mandava, P., Torrealba-Acosta, G., Barboza, M. A., Fernández-Morales, H., Qasim, M., Litvak, P., ... Kent, T. A (2021). Abstract P17: Outcomes After Thrombolysis for Ischemic Stroke in Costa Rica Compare Favorably With International Cohorts. Stroke. 52(Suppl_1),
- Derry, P. J., McHugh, E. A., Liopo, A. V., Vo, A. T., Gnanasekaran, A., Tour, J. M., & Kent, T. A (2021). Abstract P792: Therapeutic Catalytic Nanoantioxidants Derived From Activated Charcoal. Stroke. 52(Suppl_1),
- Mitra, J., Dharmalingam, P., Talakatta, G., Wang, H., Derry, P. J., Vasquez, V., ... Hegde, M. L (2020). Pervasive Hemin-Induced Genome Toxicity in Experimental Intracerebral Hemorrhage (ICH): Implications and Therapeutic Interventions.. ENVIRONMENTAL AND MOLECULAR MUTAGENESIS. 61, 58-58.
- Derry, P. J., McHugh, E. A., Liopo, A. V., Tour, J. M., & Kent, T. A (2019). A novel, injectable carbon nanoparticle demonstrates electron shuttling capabilities: a potential therapeutic "nanozyme'' for mitochondrial protection in ischemic injury. JOURNAL OF CEREBRAL BLOOD FLOW AND METABOLISM. 39, 367-367.
- Anderson, J. A., Kimmel, B., Tang, X., Ovalle, A., Ifeorah, C., Gina, E., Nwangwa, D., & Kent, T. A. (2019). Mobile Health mHealth for Secondary Stroke Prevention is Feasible and Effective.. STROKE. 50,