My group conducts research on occupational safety, upper extremity disorders, occupational biomechanics, occupational ergonomics, and human factors engineering.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, Texas Tech University - (Amarillo, Texas, United States) 2008
- M.P.H. in Environmental and Occupational Health, Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2003
- B.S. in Biomedical Science, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1999
- Sharma, P., Pickens, A., Mehta, R., Han, G., & Benden, M. E. (2019). Smart Software Can Increase Sit–Stand Desk Transitions During Active Computer Use. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 16(13), 2438-2438.
- Garrett, G., Zhao, H., Pickens, A., Mehta, R., Preston, L., Powell, A., & Benden, M. (2019). Computer-based Prompt's impact on postural variability and sit-stand desk usage behavior; a cluster randomized control trial. Applied Ergonomics. 79, 17-24.
- Sharma, P. P., Mehta, R. K., Pickens, A., Han, G., & Benden, M. (2018). Sit-Stand Desk Software Can Now Monitor and Prompt Office Workers to Change Health Behaviors. Human Factors The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 61(5), 816-824.
- Sharma, P. P., Benden, M., Mehta, R. K., Pickens, A., & Han, G. (2018). A Quantitative Evaluation of Electric Sit-Stand Desk Usage: 3-Month In-Situ Workplace Study. IISE Transactions on Occupational Ergonomics and Human Factors. 6(2), 1-22.
- Towne, S. D., Ory, M. G., Smith, M. L., Peres, S. C., Pickens, A. W., Mehta, R. K., & Benden, M. (2017). Accessing physical activity among young adults attending a university: the role of sex, race/ethnicity, technology use, and sleep. BMC Public Health. 17(1), 721.
- Pickens, A. W. (2016). Mobile hearing screening: A viable option?.
- Pickens, A. W., & Benden, M. E. (2013). Curriculum Development for HF/E Graduate Students. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 57(1), 452-456.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- You, No Young (2017-08). Developing the Comprehensive Quality of Life Model for Elderly Based on Modality of Motions, Cognitive Ability, and Hearing Loss. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Dakuri, Lakshmi V (2015-05). Pilot Study Validation of Hear Mobile Hearing Screening Application in the General Population. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M Health Science Center; Environmental And Occupational Health; 1266 TAMUS
College Station, TX 77845