My research focuses on metamorphic petrology and geochemistry; the characterization of metamorphism in the earth's crust and mantle including temperatures, pressures and, in particular, fluid compositions and movements. This research includes fieldwork, petrography, microprobe analyses, fluid calculations over a wide range of pressures and temperatures, fluid inclusion work and stable isotopic analyses. Recent research includes the production and microthermometric examination of synthetic fluid inclusions. Additional interests include crustal genesis, Precambrian geology, economic geology, and metasomatic transport of crustal materials.
- Ph.D. in Geology, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1987
- M.A. in Geology, Rice University - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1983
- B.A. in Geology, Earlham College - (Richmond, Indiana, United States) 1980
- Newman, J., Chatzaras, V., Tikoff, B., Wijbrans, J. R., Lamb, W. M., & Drury, M. R. (2021). Strain Localization at Constant Strain Rate and Changing Stress Conditions: Implications for Plate Boundary Processes in the Upper Mantle. MINERALS. 11(12), 1351-1351.
- Hunt, L. E., & Lamb, W. M. (2019). Application of mineral equilibria to estimate fugacities of H2O, H-2, and O-2 in mantle xenoliths from the southwestern USA. AMERICAN MINERALOGIST. 104(3), 333-347.
- Kilgore, M. L., Peslier, A. H., Brandon, A. D., & Lamb, W. M. (2018). Water and Oxygen Fugacity in the Lithospheric Mantle Wedge beneath the Northern Canadian Cordillera (Alligator Lake). GEOCHEMISTRY GEOPHYSICS GEOSYSTEMS. 19(10), 3844-3869.
- Kang, P., Lamb, W. M., & Drury, M. (2017). Using mineral equilibria to estimate H2O activities in peridotites from the Western Gneiss Region of Norway. AMERICAN MINERALOGIST. 102(5), 1021-1036.
- Stewart, E., Lamb, W., Newman, J., & Tikoff, B. (2016). The Petrological and Geochemical Evolution of Early Forearc Mantle Lithosphere: an Example from the Red Hills Ultramafic Massif, New Zealand. JOURNAL OF PETROLOGY. (4), 751-775.
- Jugum, D., Stewart, E., Palin, J. M., Mortimer, N., Norris, R. J., & Lamb, W. M. (2019). Correlations between a heterogeneous mantle and multiple stages of crustal growth: a review of the Dun Mountain ophiolite, New Zealand. Memoirs. PALEOZOIC-MESOZOIC GEOLOGY OF SOUTH ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND: SUBDUCTION-RELATED PROCESSES ADJACENT TO SE GONDWANA. 75-92. Geological Society of London.
- Stewart, E., Newman, J., Tikoff, B., Donnelly, S., German, L., Chatzaras, V., ... Kruckenberg, S. C. (2019). Coupled deformation and melt-migration events recording subduction initiation, Dun Mountain ophiolite, New Zealand. Memoirs. PALEOZOIC-MESOZOIC GEOLOGY OF SOUTH ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND: SUBDUCTION-RELATED PROCESSES ADJACENT TO SE GONDWANA. 93-117. Geological Society of London.
- Kissinger, Ryan Michael (2018-12). Fluids in the Deep Earth: Estimation of Fluid Fugacities in Peridotites from the Klamath Mountains, California, USA. (Master's Thesis)
- Hunt, Lindsey E (2017-08). Application of Mineral Equilibria to Constrain the Nature of Mantle Fluids Using Mantle Xenoliths. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kang, Patricia (2015-05). Using Mineral Equilibria to Estimate H2O Activities in Peridotites from the Western Gneiss Region of Norway. (Master's Thesis)
- Fallon, Jessica Anne (2004-12). Crack healing as a function of pOH- and fracture morphology. (Master's Thesis)