Dr. Burte researches the connection between individual differences in spatial thinking and learning in STEM fields, and then uses those connections to develop assessments and interventions. Since spatial thinking is found in a wide variety of domains, the lab focuses on spatial skills and strategies in three areas: (1) first-year college students learning physics, (2) elementary students learning math, and (3) sense-of-direction in navigation.
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Alberta - (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)
- Ph.D. in Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara - (Santa Barbara, California, United States)
- Tufts University - (Medford, Massachusetts, United States), Postdoctoral Training
- M.A. in Geography, University of California, Santa Barbara - (Santa Barbara, California, United States)
- Burte, H., Gardony, A. L., Hutton, A., & Taylor, H. A. (2020). Elementary teachers’ attitudes and beliefs about spatial thinking and mathematics. Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications. 5(1), 17.
- Burte, H., Gardony, A. L., Hutton, A., & Taylor, H. A. (2019). Knowing when to fold 'em: Problem attributes and strategy differences in the Paper Folding test. PERSONALITY AND INDIVIDUAL DIFFERENCES. 146, 171-181.
- Burte, H., Gardony, A. L., Hutton, A., & Taylor, H. A. (2019). Make-A-Dice Test: Assessing the intersection of mathematical and spatial thinking. Behavior Research Methods. 51(2), 602-638.
- Zajac, L., Burte, H., Taylor, H. A., & Killiany, R. (2019). Self‐reported navigation ability is associated with optic flow‐sensitive regions’ functional connectivity patterns during visual path integration. Brain and Behavior. 9(4), e01236-e01236.
- Burte, H., Turner, B. O., Miller, M. B., & Hegarty, M. (2018). The Neural Basis of Individual Differences in Directional Sense. Front Hum Neurosci. 12, 410.
- Hegarty, M., Burte, H., & Boone, A. P. (2018). Individual Differences in Large-Scale Spatial Abilities and Strategies. Montello, D. R. (Eds.), Handbook of Behavioral and Cognitive Geography. (pp. 231-246). Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Hegarty, M., Burte, H., Boone, A. P., Heydari, N., & Tarampi, M. (2015). Individual differences in spatial abilities across different scales of space. Cognitive Processing. 16, S18-S18.
- Burte, H., & Hegarty, M. (2014). Alignment Effects and Allocentric-Headings within a Relative Heading Task. ADVANCED DATA MINING AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS. 8684, 46-61.
- Burte, H., & Hegarty, M. (2013). Individual and Strategy Differences in an Allocentric-Heading Recall Task.. 1958-1963.
- Burte, H., & Hegarty, M. (2012). Revisiting the Relationship between Allocentric-Heading Recall and Self-Reported Sense of Direction. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society. 34, 162-167.