Areas of Specialization: Pragmatism, Classical American Philosophy, Ethical Theory, Latin American Philosophy, Socio-political Theory.
Areas of Competence: Aesthetics, Philosophy of Technology, History of Philosophy.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1990
- M.A. in Philosophy, University of Wyoming - (Laramie, Wyoming, United States) 1983
- B.A. in Philosophy, University of Puerto Rico System - (San Juan, Puerto Rico, United States) 1981
- Pappas, G. F. (2017). Zapatismo, Luis Villoro, and American Pragmatism on Democracy, Power, and Injustice. The Pluralist. 12(1), 85-100.
- Gregory Pappas. (2017). The Centrality of Dewey's Lectures in China to his Socio-Political Philosophy. Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society. 53(1), 7-7.
- Gregory Fernando Pappas. (2016). John Dewey's Radical Logic: The Function of the Qualitative in Thinking. Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society. 52(3), 435-435.
- Pappas, G. F. (2016). The pragmatists' approach to injustice. Pluralist. 11(1), 58-77.
- Pappas, G. F. (2014). The Narrative and Identity of Pragmatism in America: The History of a Dysfunctional Family?. The Pluralist. 9(2), 65-83.
- Pappas, G. F. (2015). BERNSTEIN ON THE NARRATIVE AND IDENTITY OF PRAGMATISM IN AMERICA. Confines of Democracy. 63-74. BRILL.
- Pappas, G. F. (2012). Why are hispanic philosophers marginalized in the American philosophical community?. Reframing the Practice of Philosophy: Bodies of Color, Bodies of Knowledge. 167-180.
- Pappas, G. F. (2011). Dewey and Latina lesbians on the quest for purity. Pragmatism in the Americas. 262-273.
- Pappas, G. F. (2011). Introduction. 1-15.
- Pappas, G. F. (2011). The Latino character of American pragmatism. Pragmatism in the Americas. 170-184.
awards and honors
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award conferred by National University of Cordoba - (Córdoba, Argentina) - This lasted until 2013. 2012
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Rothwell, Andrew Thomas (2014-08). Salvation from Despair and Estrangement: An Analysis of Religious Existentialism as Found in Soren Kierkegaard and Paul Tillich. (Master's Thesis)
- Diaz, Kim (2012-05). Radical Democracy in the thought and work of Paulo Freire and Luis Villoro. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Tucker, Richard Thorp (2011-05). Deweyan Naturalism: A Critique of Epistemic Reductionism. (Master's Thesis)
- Shockley, Paul Russell (2010-12). How to Bridge the Culture Gap: How John Dewey's Aesthetics May Benefit the Local Church. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gomez, Manuela Alejandra (2003-05). Rediscovering the philosophical importance of Jose Ingenieros. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Philosophy & Humanities; 4237 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4237